Securing Hive Sections

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digestive

New Bee
Reaction score
Looking for advice on the easiest (best?) way to secure sections of a national hive to each other in order to keep the hive togeather in strong winds.

I’ve seen people place straps around the whole hive but are there any suggestions for a more practical and aesthetic way to make a hive secure?

the most practical and sensible method is to use a strap securing the whole hive and stand together - in this case, hive/colony safety is more important than aesthetics IMHO
Traditionally you'd use spring fasteners - or you could use toggle fasteners - have a search on the thornes site under hardware>moving hives. (other sellers supply them too.) thi thing is though, having to unclip each box every inspection is a right PITA

A strap around the hive and stand is really reliable and easy to work with. You just loosen the strap a little and drop it by your feet, then it quickly goes back up and is tightened down once you’re done. Just make sure you get good quality ones - I’ve had best luck with some old straps meant for holding kayaks on the roof of the car. I have had fallen trees land on the hives and although the hives shifted off the bricks under the legs of the stands, the hives themselves remained standing and upright. Without a strap I am convinced that the boxes would have been scattered on the ground. I also have a rock on each hive roof, but it’s not really needed with the strap in place.

Cam buckle 5m strap is what I use in a fetching bright yellow colour.

the most practical and sensible method is to use a strap securing the whole hive and stand together - in this case, hive/colony safety is more important than aesthetics IMHO
Traditionally you'd use spring fasteners - or you could use toggle fasteners - have a search on the thornes site under hardware>moving hives. (other sellers supply them too.) thi thing is though, having to unclip each box every inspection is a right PITA
That is how I do it and I live in a windy spot, I also add a cheap corkscrew style ground anchor directly under the stand and run the strap through its handle as well for the most exposed hives.

That is how I do it and I live in a windy spot, I also add a cheap corkscrew style ground anchor directly under the stand and run the strap through its handle as well for the most exposed hives.
Oh, that’s very clever!

I strap all hives,nucs and mini nucs to stands.
We occasionally see gusts over 50mph in storms.

Have always used straps since one of my first hives ended up toppling over..... a nightmare to put right and why risk your bees? A simple strap slackened off and tightened in seconds

I SHARE AN OUT-APIARY WITH 2 OTHER BEEKS. WE DON'T USUALLY HAVE PROBLEMS WITH HIGH WINDS. WE HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH VANDALS PUSHING HIVES OVER. TO COUNTER PROBLEMS WE USE STRAPS.

WHEN A STRAPPED HIVE IS PUSHED OVER THE SECTIONS USUALLY STAY TOGETHER. THERE IS LESS CHANCE OF THE Q AND THE BEES BEING KILLED BY BAD WEATHER.

Can get pretty windy here, not to mention the odd badger wandering around! My hives are on hollow concrete blocks, with the ratchet strap through the blocks and a bit of pipe insulation to prevent the strap rubbing on the block as it's tightened. Very quick and easy to release and resecure when done!

Sorry if I upset anyone by using capitals.

I have sight problems and my current laptop is an ASUS one which doesn't have a light-up key which comes on when the CAPS key is engaged.

I have sight problems and my current laptop is an ASUS one which doesn't have a light-up key which comes on when the CAPS key is engaged.

:rolleyes:yOu dIDn'T upseT Me.... terrible that you should have to endure repeated vandal attacks.

No problem then, it just isn't normal etiquette to post in capitals.
Now we know it's due to vision, I wouldn't think anyone has an issue with it.

Maybe one should have just typed a fore note just to explain the reason why ?

Nothing ruder than piling on to point out etiquette breaches publically.

(edited for kindness)

Last edited:
Looking for advice on the easiest (best?) way to secure sections of a national hive to each other in order to keep the hive togeather in strong winds.

I’ve seen people place straps around the whole hive but are there any suggestions for a more practical and aesthetic way to make a hive secure?
I have my polyhive strapped to the stand but I have also hammered metal garden staples into the ground either side and attached bungee straps. I also have a couple of bricks on the top. That polyhive is going nowhere!

I don't have bees for my hives yet (one poly, one cedar), but my planned out apiary is in a windy coastal spot. I'm planning to strap mine to a base pallet, with a home made pallet-type stand beneath the hive, just to raise it up to a more comfortable height. I hope the bottom pallet will provide a wide enough footprint to make it stable in strong winds. I have the straps that you wind around a sort of buckle (bought from C Wynne Jones), rather than a ratchet strap.

I have the straps that you wind around a sort of buckle (bought from C Wynne Jones), rather than a ratchet strap.
Spanset straps - very strong although working out how to wind the strap is a bit of a dark art - but be very careful in getthing the tension right on the poly hive as the straps have been known to crumple them.

Latest posts

Back