Second Hand Jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveJ

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've been given some used 4oz Jars. Will I be OK using them for honey, providing I clean them properly?

SteveJ

i often get my jars returned to me, so i wash them with normal washing up liquid and then place them in the microwave with some water in them to kill any germs

if you microwave them, this will kill any bugs.

I don't think you need to add water

shonto

You could use the stuff that home brewers use for sterilising bottles,,,

Campden is it? or less the P.

i often get my jars returned to me, so i wash them with normal washing up liquid and then place them in the microwave with some water in them to kill any germs

Using a microwave you can't be sure of how hot all of the water will be in the jar, so it may work in practice but not guaranteed.
Microbiology labs warm liquids in microwaves but never use them to sterilise liquids for this reason.
Better off a cycle in the dishwasher (detergent-free?) or a rinse in hot water and warming in a cool oven (less than 150 C), as you would for jam making.

You could use the stuff that home brewers use for sterilising bottles,,,

Campden is it? or less the P.

Campden tablets or milton solution.
the stuff used for babies bottles.

or 90 seconds in a microwave will kill just about anything

shonto

No problems with re-using jars as long as they are suitably washed. You will need to use new lids though as the seals do wear on them.

In my opinion Miltons leaves a smell..

Main threat is 'yeasts' and 'moulds' the low water activity and natural anti-bacteriacidal properties of honey supress the growth of human pathogens. To knock out Y&M via WET heat you need 85'C for 5 mins. Dry heat is very unreliable and not recommended. If your honey is sub 18% free water then water activity should be below Aw 0.65 anyway so even osmophilic yeasts like Zygosaccharomyces (Aw 0.67 limit) should be stuffed. Pre-heat treatment of re-used jars protects against moisture content variation but also against the risk of toxins created on the organic waste by other food poisoners after natural rehydration in atmospheric conditions over time. R

Last edited:
Main threat is 'yeasts' and 'moulds' the low water activity and natural anti-bacteriacidal properties of honey supress the growth of human pathogens. To knock out Y&M via WET heat you need 85'C for 5 mins. Dry heat is very unreliable and not recommended. If your honey is sub 18% free water then water activity should be below Aw 0.65 anyway so even osmophilic yeasts like Zygosaccharomyces (Aw 0.67 limit) should be stuffed. Pre-heat treatment of re-used jars protects agains moisture content variation but also against the risk of toxins created on the organiscwaste by other food poisoners after natural rehydration in atmospheric conditions over time. R

Far too many big words for me. :willy_nilly:

shonto

Milton = weak sodium hypochlorite (bleach) solution.
Cam(p)den tablets = sodium metabisulphite.

Sodium metabisulphite is used in bleaching cotton to clear the bleach at the end of the process. It's a mild reducing agent.

I've used this procedure to clean brewing equipment very successfully. Clean with bleach solution (sodium hypochlorite in most household 'thin' bleach), rinse with water then rinse with sodium metabisulphite solution then again with water. Sparkling, odour-free equipment every time.

Whats that mean in plain speak rosti?

You could have toxins from other food poisoners that have grown on the waste honey which has rehydrated and would then nicely support growth. If you also have yeasts you need to kill them.

The microwave wont do this, it relies on molecular vibration of water molecules to develop heat, it is the heat that kills.

Boil a kettle, pour it in the jars wait a minute, pour it out, job done! Nice relaible wet heat (the treatment is time / temperature reliant) hence hotter water = less time.

:party:

Main threat is 'yeasts' and 'moulds' the low water activity and natural anti-bacteriacidal properties of honey supress the growth of human pathogens. To knock out Y&M via WET heat you need 85'C for 5 mins. Dry heat is very unreliable and not recommended. If your honey is sub 18% free water then water activity should be below Aw 0.65 anyway so even osmophilic yeasts like (Aw 0.67 limit) should be stuffed. Pre-heat treatment of re-used jars protects against moisture content variation but also against the risk of toxins created on the organic waste by other food poisoners after natural rehydration in atmospheric conditions over time. R

It would have taken me the other half of my life to work this out. :smilielol5:

Zygosaccharomyces , is that a real word or did you get a nervous twitch as you were typing ? :biggrinjester:

Shonto :bigear:

It would have taken me the other half of my life to work this out. :smilielol5:

Zygosaccharomyces , is that a real word or did you get a nervous twitch as you were typing ? :biggrinjester:

Shonto :bigear:

Actually thats entirely possible! I always thought I was just bad at spelling but my wife (teacher) tried out a dyslexic test for 11 yr olds on me - I failed! Typing ok 'cause I know where the letters are and can 'see them' write them from memory by hand and I am stuffed! :nopity:

Boil a kettle, pour it in the jars wait a minute, pour it out, job done! Nice relaible wet heat (the treatment is time / temperature reliant) hence hotter water = less time.

:party:

WARNING. Just make sure you have pre-warmed the jars or you will find most will instantly crack if you put boiling water in from cold. Good for losing fingers too.

WARNING. Just make sure you have pre-warmed the jars or you will find most will instantly crack if you put boiling water in from cold. Good for losing fingers too.

Good point, well made :biggrinjester: spot the food safety geek! I've heard of health and safety that's what other people who have accidents have to worry about isn't it? :reddevil:

Dishwasher rinse and drying cycle, I bet that's got a good chance of getting to 85'C to achieve the drying ? Now who's going to perform the data log verification?

Even after dish washing all my jars go in the oven just prior to filling.

I don't normally do enough in a batch to have to rush.....

Regards, RAB

Back