second brood or second super ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badger

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
I have a strain of Buckfast bees.
I have a National with a super on and the super has drawn uncapped comb nearly full with honey.
My question is, I know I can add another super to increase the hive size for the girls but is it too late to add another brood body ?
I would like peoples thoughts please as I was told to put a super onfirst rather than a brood body which I am glad I did but still wonder if they need more brood space ?
The reason I ask is the hive looks crowded and I dont want to give them any reason to swarm.

You need to find out how many frames of brood there are this will tell you if they need more room in the brood box, you need to add another super as they will fill up the brood box with nectar otherwise reducingthe amount of laying room for the queen.

Hi Craig,
Looking at my records last week I had about 9 to 10 frames of brood at various stages ?

I would put your 2nd brood box on below the current one, and another super above the brood box and below the existing super.

If they want to expand the brood nest they will have the space to do so and will also have the space where they want it to store honey.

PH

Thanks to badger and to PH!

I was wondering this about one of my own hives which is in exactly the same situation. They are filling the super up very fast and I am keen to help them build up their numbers should they wish to.

Thanks Veg and PH,
Today I added a brood body under my existing brood and another super above brood and under the existing super.
I found the super nearly full of honey and about the top third was capped and a very nice weight.
I only inspected three frames quickly.
I also only inspected three frames on the brood and found larvae of various stages and single eggs, one frame had honey both capped and uncapped and there was pollen also.
My last inspection was a week ago and I have not seen my queen yet but as mentioned I have seen eggs, she is supposed to be marked.
But after I had rebuilt the hive and some six hours later, I looked through my inspection window and my girls were quick to show me one good sized queen cell not cup and two larger than normal queen cups on two frames that I did not inspect.
Now considering I have just increased the brood area for them by double and they are already drawing out comb on the bottom section on many frames, should I be worried and be thinking about doing an AS or should I sit it out and keep an eye on the Queen cell ?

As posted now several times, an occupied play cup changes it to a cell and like it or not they are telling you whey want to reproduce.

It's A/S time.

PH

Latest posts

Back