Season start - Devon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:iagree: a/s, split whatever, wait to see how the new queen shapes up then reunite squishing the queen who lost the lottery at the end of the season
Yes thank you for that suggestion I could do that

Thornes in Exeter have virtually no beekeeping stock in at the moment, went in last week and was told probably nothing until April.
Ok, thanks, I only buy the odd thing from them at the Devon show! Just knew they existed.

How’s everyone’s season start going ? Noticed a good deal of blossom on the trees around in Exeter ! I have taken the wrap off the brood box , removed the varroa screen and opened the entrance wide , don’t want overheating and early swarming , well not until I’ve taken my splits anyway !

Interesting. At this time of year above all others I'd want to make it easier to keep the brood area warm than be worrying about 'overheating' but I suppose we all have our own ideas about this stuff.

At this time of year above all others I'd want to make it easier to keep the brood area warm than be worrying about 'overheating'
Bees usually sort all that out without us interfering. I remember my first experience of 'conventional' hives out in Southern Africa - wooden Langstroths, solid floors, no top 'ventilation' and the 1" winter entrance permanently fixed all year round.

How’s everyone’s season start going ? Noticed a good deal of blossom on the trees around in Exeter ! I have taken the wrap off the brood box , removed the varroa screen and opened the entrance wide , don’t want overheating and early swarming , well not until I’ve taken my splits anyway !
No inspecting for us yet, just taken the mouse traps off, looking forward to getting in and having a look what's going on. How was you move to Devon?

No inspecting for us yet, just taken the mouse traps off, looking forward to getting in and having a look what's going on. How was you move to Devon?

yeah move went ok ! Was a long trek down from Cheshire ! I opened them up and added two extra frames of foundation to the outer sides, removing the cork frames, all looked well inside and nowhere near ready to swarm. Hoping to start splits first week of April mind. How’s things for you ?

I understand from my wife we are holidaying in that part of the country week before easter isn't the National bee supplies shop in Devon?

Latest posts

Back