Season start - Devon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCymru

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Afternoon everyone , will be moving to Devon end of this month and taking the ladies with me . When does the season generally get started around the Exeter area?

I'm a little north of Exeter and about 125m above sea level, but I'd say things have often started to kick off by mid-March. The spring weather has been so variable of late however that it's quite unreliable. Last year they were really quite late because spring was so cold. How sheltered the apiary site is can make quite a difference too.

James

I am in Taunton, early march here but it obviously depends on local forage. There is a Thornes outlet in Exeter which is handy and now a proper Thornes in North Devon.

Thanks guys that's helpful , I will be moving from the countryside into Exeter city centre so urban beekeeping will provide its own challenges I'm sure. Handy to know there's a Thornes outlet there!

Thanks guys that's helpful , I will be moving from the countryside into Exeter city centre so urban beekeeping will provide its own challenges I'm sure. Handy to know there's a Thornes outlet there!
Will you still have the same number of hives? Will they be kept in your garden?

I have a friend just down the road (in Exeter) who keeps two hives successfully in his garden. He has good neighbours, so if/when they swarm he's able to retrieve them easily. I keep mine at a couple of sites out in the countryside and have to say, I would be uncomfortable keeping them in town. I know of a couple of people who are considering having hives on their land - not beekeeping, but just facilitating - so you may be able to get a bit of a hand in that direction if you want.
(there are currently 241 apiaries within the 10Km circle around my nearest bees, just outside the town according to Bee Base)

Last edited:
It is at Adams home hardware in fore street. Good for emergencies

It is at Adams home hardware in fore street. Good for emergencies
...but less useful towards the end of the season. And 'International Bee Supplies' is in Okehampton, 20 minutes down the road - I feel that the build quality of their hives is better; better fits between the parts. But Thornes in South Molton (50 minutes away) seems to be better stocked generally - and they're allowing you into the shop now, whereas IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome???) are still keeping you out in the little booth - which does cut down on incidental purchases, like that 7th hive tool 'on offer'...

Afternoon everyone , will be moving to Devon end of this month and taking the ladies with me . When does the season generally get started around the Exeter area?

When the bees decide the weather is suitable, of couse. They are generally not so stupid as to start earlier, but also not dumb enough to wait for even better weather while stores are diminishing rapidly.

In other words, when spring actually arrives!

Aye just two nationals , will split both of them this year with artificial swarm method in nucs and buy in a couple of Buckfast queens , that should stop any swarming.
We have four hoping to avoid splits this year as we don't want anymore hives, easier said than done I know but will have to give away any caught swarms this year if they decide to do a bunk!!!!🐝🐝🐝🐝

We have four hoping to avoid splits this year as we don't want anymore hives, easier said than done I know but will have to give away any caught swarms this year if they decide to do a bunk!!!!🐝🐝🐝🐝

Yep I hear you, once I'm up to 4 hives the work really begins !I don't want any more either so what I might do then is continue with artificial swarm method and sell them as Nucs (with a new queen of course)

If you don't want to increase, you can always reunite them at the end of summer instead of giving away the swarms. Keep the new queen and you'll have nice strong colonies to go into next winter.

If you don't want to increase, you can always reunite them at the end of summer instead of giving away the swarms. Keep the new queen and you'll have nice strong colonies to go into next winter.
:iagree: a/s, split whatever, wait to see how the new queen shapes up then reunite squishing the queen who lost the lottery at the end of the season

I am in Taunton, early march here but it obviously depends on local forage. There is a Thornes outlet in Exeter which is handy and now a proper Thornes in North Devon.
Thornes in Exeter have virtually no beekeeping stock in at the moment, went in last week and was told probably nothing until April.

Latest posts

Back