Sealing a new cedar hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had Mark Drakeford at lunchtime. There were just as many questions about four stupid MSs going for a drink after work than we did about the vaccine roll out
What’s the betting there will be a Boris volte face over the vaccine interval? Not today but maybe soon.
Is there a question about the vaccine interval?

What’s the betting there will be a Boris volte face over the vaccine interval? Not today but maybe soon.
I think it has already been done on the QT, know a few in engerlund that have had their first jabs and, together with their sticker, handed a card with a date for the booster

That Alun Davies is a waste of space anyway, should have been thrown out of the party and the senedd after his shenanigans with the planning consultation when agriculture minister a few years ago
The way these Tory clowns are acting over this pandemic and the fact they do not listen or act on the advice given by the Scientists makes me think we should sack the whole lot of them
Put Alan Sugar in charge!!

Good quality Western Red Cedar is almost totally immune to woodworm ... even without treatment. Pine boxes, if untreated, may, in time, get woodworm - depends on what timber is around that finds favour with the female beetle who lays the eggs, They usually look for damp or soft woods as they are easier to chew.
I have a couple of cedar boxes that would disagree.... I give my boxes that aren't in use a quick run over with raw linseed oil in the winter. They slurp it up. Hopefully it does them some good, it gets me out of the house and may keep me out of mischief. I also use linseed oil based paints on my house, very impressed with their performance.

I have a couple of cedar boxes that would disagree.... I give my boxes that aren't in use a quick run over with raw linseed oil in the winter. They slurp it up. Hopefully it does them some good, it gets me out of the house and may keep me out of mischief. I also use linseed oil based paints on my house, very impressed with their performance.
There's nowt wrong with slurping a bit of linseed oil on cedar hives ... if that's what you prefer to the aged silver patina they turn to. If you've got woodworm in a good cedar hive you are very unlucky.

Can we have a thread on the best coatings or preservatives for matchsticks? It is not so much their cost as the hassle of having to go round all the hives checking and replacing the failing ones, so as to ensure good ventilation through the winter...

Could you not dip the matchsticks into your linseed oil, or into straight beeswax? That ought to be water repellent and also stick to the crownboard so they aren’t lost if lifted during the winter. Of course the beeswax might make them a bit thicker so there is more ventilation, might that be a good thing??

Could you not dip the matchsticks into your linseed oil, or into straight beeswax? That ought to be water repellent and also stick to the crownboard so they aren’t lost if lifted during the winter. Of course the beeswax might make them a bit thicker so there is more ventilation, might that be a good thing??
And I’m sure pargyle could turn some special ones for forum members.

For ***** sake throw matchsticks away unless they are used for their original purpose. Keep your lids closed.

And I’m sure pargyle could turn some special ones for forum members.
I'm about to plan my early retirement on the basis of the proceeds from hand turned, hardwood, knob ended, hive ventilation devices ... I reckon an advert in the BBKA mag would ensure plentiful sales,

So many of my turnings end up as matchsticks or shavings it would also meet my recycling and repurposing principles ... as well as being a nice little earner !

I'm about to plan my early retirement on the basis of the proceeds from hand turned, hardwood, knob ended, hive ventilation devices ... I reckon an advert in the BBKA mag would ensure plentiful sales,

So many of my turnings end up as matchsticks or shavings it would also meet my recycling and repurposing principles ... as well as being a nice little earner !
I see a design flaw therein. If they are turned then (usually) they will be round (although some of the things I turn do not turn out to be) The advantage of the matchstick is its rectangular cross section which reduces the probability of it rolling off the corner of the hive when being put in place. Of course an unstruck matchstick has the disadvantage of one end being round(ish).

Do people prefer to use struck or unstruck matchsticks for ventilating their hives? Should one consider the risk of spontaneous combustion, especially in hot weather when ventilation is almost as important as it is in midwinter ?

I see a design flaw therein. If they are turned then (usually) they will be round (although some of the things I turn do not turn out to be) The advantage of the matchstick is its rectangular cross section which reduces the probability of it rolling off the corner of the hive
Can't you see that this is part of the plan - like the man who keeps selling his homing pigeon on ebay, Pargyle is ensuring that these gullible souls need to keep coming back for more

I see a design flaw therein. If they are turned then (usually) they will be round (although some of the things I turn do not turn out to be) The advantage of the matchstick is its rectangular cross section which reduces the probability of it rolling off the corner of the hive when being put in place. Of course an unstruck matchstick has the disadvantage of one end being round(ish).

Do people prefer to use struck or unstruck matchsticks for ventilating their hives? Should one consider the risk of spontaneous combustion, especially in hot weather when ventilation is almost as important as it is in midwinter ?
Ahh .... but you have missed my unque selling proposition ... The USP is that my hand turned, hardwood, knob ended, hive ventilation devices is that they are not square like matchsticks - they are round - but not only round - they are tapered .. so the upwards airflow through the hive can be controlled by the judicious insertion or exertion of the device, using the knob on the end, to allow meticulous adjustment of just the right amount of cold air passing through the colony to keep the bees shivering and shaking and thus using the masses of sugar syrup and fondant that they are being fed on.

As long as they are inserted, one on each side, at equidistant corners they cannot roll ... simples ...

I will have difficulty keeping up with the orders I feel .... I may have to subcontract ...

Knob ends might suit a fair few of the BBKA membership :icon_204-2:.

Latest posts

Back