screening an apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocko

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

I previously asked in another thread about size and spacing requirements around an apiary on an allotment. I decided that I want to use a material that allowed some light through, was cheap and allowed the bees to reach a good height. I looked at scaffolding netting (link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2M-X50M-GREEN..._Ladders_RL&hash=item5199269fb8#ht_2752wt_907 )

do you think this would do the job? I was thinking about fence panels but was worried about light levels and price. Will this be strong enough for a fence (obviously not for security but at least to get the bees to a decent level above the heads of other plot holders?

Thanks again

Andy

My first thoughts are that bees may get tangled in the weave as they sometimes do in clothing.

Should be fine. Be aware that scaffolding netting often has a pattern of larger holes maybe every couple of feet- I think it's to reduce wind resistance. Can't see that being a huge issue. The same stuff without holes is sold as windbreak or shade netting by horticultural suppliers. I've got a pile waiting for when I get permission to keep bees at my allotment.

Hi Andy

Its perfect for the job I have used it at one of my sites the bees just go straight over the top. people are able to see through it and watch the bees, as its light and the wind just blows through it the frame to support it can be reasonably simple.

I even made a few temporary travel screens out of it and it worked a treat.

I was lucky and given a load salvaged from a building site but with 50m you will be popular at your allotment site for netting to protect the veg.

Same here. Look out for local building sites that are removing scaffolding. This stuff is usually skipped as it cannot be re-used.

Regards
Michael

I screened using greenhouse screening which works out at about £20 per go. Not the cheapest but effective where I needed something not too wide, high screen. From any garden centre.

Last edited:
I used exactly that product on a 5m x 2m angle where the girls were becoming too inquisitive about a veg patch in line of sight of the entrance. Distance to net is about 2m from hive entrances. Installed staple gunned to 5 wooden poles. Mistake I made was doing it late afternoon where some returning bees were a bit confused and got stuck on outside. However now out and up they go and no problem since.
It was a much cheaper version to where I used hit an miss wooden fencing in another apiary.

I have bought some of this stuff to use myself and now have some old scaffold poles, hope to get a screen up if we ever get any rain...

Thanks for all your replies! I've ordered the scaffolding mesh and should be here tomorrow! will post a picture to show you how I've done it later :)

Andy

Latest posts

Back