Scout Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes all good for the season. Make sure vial is secure I use a pin with a bit of cotton. Scout bees have a tendency to Chuck junk and vials out.
Ha, I didn't secure mine.it will be interesting to see what has happened to it. I have caught a swarm though, possibly two... so feel the investment in lure has paid off. And I still have 3 vials left. When you're starting out and don't have old comb to chuck in, it does seem to work. I've been checking out good spots to put the baits for at least 6 months 😅. Feeling very excited. Checking the boxes now with ridiculous regularity.

So, I was a beekeeper for about 6 years, who gave up in about 2000. At this time the Varroa mite in my area just about started to become a problem, there wasn't much use of mesh floor trays and I had never heard of polystyrene hives....Move on to 2012 and on tidyng out my garage I decided to move one of my old hives outside on the chance I might catch a swarm....On again to 2021 and having had no luck with a swarm. I decded to put some Lemongrass oil on a pad inside the hive.

Yesterday, I happened to note 20-30 bees outside and in the entrance to the hive, they disappeared n the evening, but they were back this morning in increased numbers but rapidly diminished at lunchtime, leaving only 2 or 3 around the hive. 20 mins later they arrived and what a marvellous site to behold; in about 15 mins the entire swarm was inside the hive (See attached video).

BUT, at this point I realised I had forgotten much of what I once knew and could do with some advice before I dig out my old bekeeping books.
I have a deep broodbox wth 2 frames of empty comb (probably eaten by wax moths) a crown board and a somewhat motheaten roof. The hive can stay in ts current postion, but I am conscous that I need to put some more frames in the box before the bees start to draw comb from the roof. When I attempt to do this I assume bees wll be postioned all-over the inside of the brood box and roof (includng the queen).
I would be most grateful of advice on how to proceed. Thanks Ian

Attachments

• swarm.mp4
    11 MB

Latest posts

Back