Scout Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put out my first ever bait hive last week. 1-2 scout bees turned up within 24 hours. For the past couple of days there have been 12-20 bees showing an interest. Does scout activity like this keep increasing (if they are keen on the possible new home)?

Is the scout activity still ongoing?

Some of the more experienced beeks have established bait hive locations, does that make a difference?

If one swarm liked a location chances are another will too, after all they're looking for the same parameters.
If you know any beekeepers near yourself try raising the topic of swarm control in conversation, I found two people keeping bees very near me who do no swarm control at all (🤦‍♂️) so my traps go near their apiaries.

If one swarm liked a location chances are another will too, after all they're looking for the same parameters.
If you know any beekeepers near yourself try raising the topic of swarm control in conversation, I found two people keeping bees very near me who do no swarm control at all (🤦‍♂️) so my traps go near their apiaries.
I have a bait hive out as there are a number of beeks in the village. No sign of scout bees so far, but the weather has been poor. Yet another frost last night.

Not seen a single scout at any of my six traps....
You’re in Cumbria?
Have any swarms been reported in your area?
Im a little further south than you and the earliest swarm I have ever had was May 19th last year and early build up was phenomenal before it all came crashing down.
Patience, Grasshopper

Not seen a single scout at any of my six traps....
Still very early. Weather looking cold and showery for the next couple of weeks up here in Scotland.

You’re in Cumbria?
Have any swarms been reported in your area?
Im a little further south than you and the earliest swarm I have ever had was May 19th last year and early build up was phenomenal before it all came crashing down.
Patience, Grasshopper

I know, I know....I’m just keen to get my first colony and the swarm traps seem to be my best bet. I missed out last summer and don’t want to let another year slip by without getting started!

I know, I know....I’m just keen to get my first colony and the swarm traps seem to be my best bet. I missed out last summer and don’t want to let another year slip by without getting started!
Working alongside another beekeeper , helping with their bees, is the best way to get an intro to bees and to learn . I supply a free nucs to anyone , who shows enthusiasm and who does this with me. Might be worth a thought.

Working alongside another beekeeper , helping with their bees, is the best way to get an intro to bees and to learn . I supply a free nucs to anyone , who shows enthusiasm and who does this with me. Might be worth a thought.
Having observed the effects of beginners struggling solo to keep collected swarms under control last year when lockdown prevented intervention by mentors its worth uttering a word of caution about starting out with swarmy bees.

I requeen any swarm I catch. Period.

Unless they pass the "no running, no following and no stinging" test.

I had an odd one a few years ago. "Scout bees" (no swarming possible) from a Q- colony preferred my synthetic queen essence (2 drops lemongrass one geranium) to none at all and set up an outpost tiny colony in the bait hive. I think I shook them back when I put in the cell or LQ or whatever I did and they didn't repeat. But it shows my recipe wasn't too far off.

I keep seeing two or three scouts around and in my bait hive but so far no numbers like I had last year - albeit in mid May just before a large prime swarm arrived. They were very Ligurian coloured, built up amazingly fast but provided no stores so they received a new queen courtesy my best colony.
Michael

Totally agree. I’m desperate to gain as much experience as possible. I’ve found a local farm where I can set up an apiary and there’s another beekeeper going to keep some hives there too. I’m hoping he’ll show me the ropes....

Back