Scout Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwt_uk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I put out my first ever bait hive last week. 1-2 scout bees turned up within 24 hours. For the past couple of days there have been 12-20 bees showing an interest. Does scout activity like this keep increasing (if they are keen on the possible new home)?

I put out my first ever bait hive last week. 1-2 scout bees turned up within 24 hours. For the past couple of days there have been 12-20 bees showing an interest. Does scout activity like this keep increasing (if they are keen on the possible new home)?

Sounds hopeful to me! Keep us posted. I’m in Cumbria and haven’t seen any scouts at my swarm traps yet.

What sort of location have you sited the trap and what have you baited it with?

Sounds hopeful to me! Keep us posted. I’m in Cumbria and haven’t seen any scouts at my swarm traps yet.

What sort of location have you sited the trap and what have you baited it with?
Thanks. South facing, semi shaded area. Put a frame of old brood comb in and some swarm lure around the entrance

Thanks. South facing, semi shaded area. Put a frame of old brood comb in and some swarm lure around the entrance

Thanks, which swarm lure? I’ve baited all mine with lemongrass oil but thinking I should try a swarm lure too

Thanks, which swarm lure? I’ve baited all mine with lemongrass oil but thinking I should try a swarm lure too
It was one off eBay. Think it has rose oil in it. Smells quite like citrus though

What sort of lure have you used if its lemon grass oil I would of put it in the hive rather than at the entrance.
I know fold use it but I've had better results from either using a nuc/ nats brood that has been occupied one frame of old comb or using a propolis/alcohol paint on the inside and a frame of old comb.
This season i have 20 bait hives out in a conbernation of both hoping to catch some local stock for assessment.
Edit: propolis is free it's only the alcohol that costs money;)

Agree with Curly about the lemongrass
I actually don't think you need it if you have the inside of the box painted and an old brood comb in it.
Keep an eye on the activity....It's fascinating. The scout numbers reach fever pitch then in a few minutes they all disappear leaving you thinking they have abandoned the idea. If you hang around the swarm usually makes an appearance in a few minutes. I could watch it all day

Agree with Curly about the lemongrass
I actually don't think you need it if you have the inside of the box painted and an old brood comb in it.
Keep an eye on the activity....It's fascinating. The scout numbers reach fever pitch then in a few minutes they all disappear leaving you thinking they have abandoned the idea. If you hang around the swarm usually makes an appearance in a few minutes. I could watch it all day
Thanks yes I put some of the oil in the hive as well. Will keep an eye on it today

1 thing I found over the years was if you put up a bait hive in the apiary or in the hedge beside you caught swarms. However the number of your own caught was greatly increased if a lure was also used, I normally used those sold by Thornes. So I would suggest people put them in. Nothing scientific behind that but it’s my experience. Also limited by the fact like most beekeepers my bees never swarm😂

1 thing I found over the years was if you put up a bait hive in the apiary or in the hedge beside you caught swarms. However the number of your own caught was greatly increased if a lure was also used, I normally used those sold by Thornes. So I would suggest people put them in. Nothing scientific behind that but it’s my experience. Also limited by the fact like most beekeepers my bees never swarm😂

I’ve just ordered some of the swarm lure from Thornes. Doesn’t seem to say how long it lasts though....do you have to renew it every so often or is it good for the season?

Gwt, I'm a bit jealous. Also put out 1st bait have this year - not seen a sausage. Do the bees turn up intermittently or are there a few always buzzing around?

Gwt, I'm a bit jealous. Also put out 1st bait have this year - not seen a sausage. Do the bees turn up intermittently or are there a few always buzzing around?
There always seems to be a few buzzing around. They fly round the bait hive having a good look then venture inside and seem to be inside for a while. I am sitting in the sunshine watching them now. Not so many today but it it warming up. The larger numbers appear in the afternoon.

It might be they are foragers though.

They also seem to be surveying the immediate area around the hive. Some seem hesitant to go in

Swarms are like busses. You get nothing for ages, then 3 will arrive together.

I’ve just ordered some of the swarm lure from Thornes. Doesn’t seem to say how long it lasts though....do you have to renew it every so often or is it good for the season?
Yes all good for the season. Make sure vial is secure I use a pin with a bit of cotton. Scout bees have a tendency to Chuck junk and vials out.

I store my surplus hives/nucs as operating bait hives during the season.
It is amazing how bees in one hive will swarm and travel 5meters to a bait hive. :cool:

But far too early for swarms here. Minimal drones.

I store my surplus hives/nucs as operating bait hives during the season.
It is amazing how bees in one hive will swarm and travel 5meters to a bait hive. :cool:
What you mean they like those non thermally efficient boxes😉

A bit of a beginner question but,
How does a scout bee find a bait hive if it’s a new location?
Some of the more experienced beeks have established bait hive locations, does that make a difference?

Established or new I don’t think it makes any difference to how an individual scout finds them. Scent from the lures or wax, perhaps visually. I had 1 in a huge oak in the middle of a 10 acre field that produced time and time again, I guess the oak really stood out as a feature to investigate.

Last edited:
Back