Scout Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick W

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 Hives
I made up my new frames to put into my new hives (thanks Hivemaker) and left them in my hall.

I have had scout bees sniffing around so I have put 4 frames and dummy board in brood chamber and left the Hive outside.

The bees are well and truly sniffing so I am hoping for a swarm.

Do I leave 4 frames in or should I just now fill the entire brood chambers with frames?

I should add all frames have fresh foundation and have not been drawn out.

Thanks

Nick

According to many beeks, the best option for attracting a swarm is a hive of about 30-40 litres (what ever size that is i'm not sure) but at a guess a National brood box sized chamber, fill it with mostly fresh undrawn foundation but if you have an old frame with old comb which has been treated to a couple of days in a deep freezer to kill off any problems and put that in as well.

Some also recommend a variety of essential oils but mostly lemon-grass oil seems favourite.

Have a search on the forums as there is a few threads on this subject.

No - it is all totally fresh new Thornes foundation and frames! I will fill the box up.

OK I have put in 12 brand new fresh foundation frames.

Last edited:
If you can beg a piece of old comb off a beekeeping friend then you should have much more of a chance of attracting them in.
Foundation is good but a nice piece of comb that has hatched brood out before is better.

Thanks for that. And would I take out the old comb once they are hived?

I have it warm way round at the moment, so if I inspect or put the comb in I do not disturb too much. Would I just put the new comb around the middle frame?

Hi Nick
Yes just put an old dry brood comb from a disease free source in the middle of the brood box,freeze it about once a week to kill any invading wax moth,and keep an entrance block in or mouse guard on to prevent them chewing the new wax and old comb up.

I to have had scout bees around today and showing allot of interest in a bait hive that i put out about two weeks ago.

how many bees do you usually get looking before you can start thinking about being lucky ?

again i have no old comb but i put some old wax in that i have collected from another hive. but i have had bees going in and out all day and even now as i post they are.

Back