Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Nick W 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
2 Hives
I made up my new frames to put into my new hives (thanks Hivemaker) and left them in my hall.

I have had scout bees sniffing around so I have put 4 frames and dummy board in brood chamber and left the Hive outside.

The bees are well and truly sniffing so I am hoping for a swarm.

Do I leave 4 frames in or should I just now fill the entire brood chambers with frames?

I should add all frames have fresh foundation and have not been drawn out.

Thanks

Nick

Mike a 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Between 17-20
According to many beeks, the best option for attracting a swarm is a hive of about 30-40 litres (what ever size that is i'm not sure) but at a guess a National brood box sized chamber, fill it with mostly fresh undrawn foundation but if you have an old frame with old comb which has been treated to a couple of days in a deep freezer to kill off any problems and put that in as well.

Some also recommend a variety of essential oils but mostly lemon-grass oil seems favourite.

Have a search on the forums as there is a few threads on this subject.

Nick W 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
2 Hives
No - it is all totally fresh new Thornes foundation and frames! I will fill the box up.

OK I have put in 12 brand new fresh foundation frames.

Last edited:

admin 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
If you can beg a piece of old comb off a beekeeping friend then you should have much more of a chance of attracting them in.
Foundation is good but a nice piece of comb that has hatched brood out before is better.

Nick W 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
2 Hives
Thanks for that. And would I take out the old comb once they are hived?

I have it warm way round at the moment, so if I inspect or put the comb in I do not disturb too much. Would I just put the new comb around the middle frame?

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Hi Nick
Yes just put an old dry brood comb from a disease free source in the middle of the brood box,freeze it about once a week to kill any invading wax moth,and keep an entrance block in or mouse guard on to prevent them chewing the new wax and old comb up.

tidymeup 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I to have had scout bees around today and showing allot of interest in a bait hive that i put out about two weeks ago.

how many bees do you usually get looking before you can start thinking about being lucky ?

again i have no old comb but i put some old wax in that i have collected from another hive. but i have had bees going in and out all day and even now as i post they are.

Latest posts