Scout bees? Or am i getting excited over nothing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juliebeebee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have 2 empty hives in my garden, collecting a nuc for one in June. I used some swarm wipes on the hives a few weeks ago just in case a passing scout bee checked them out (wishful thinking but you never know!)
Anyway, this week the weather has warmed up in the afternoons and I came home to find 20-30 bees checking out one of the empty hives, going in & out through the entrance etc. I'm just wondering if they're checking the hives out for a swarm? Is this a likely possibility at all? They've been here for 3 days now, just don't want to get my hopes up!
Thanks guys!
Jules

I have 2 empty hives in my garden, collecting a nuc for one in June. I used some swarm wipes on the hives a few weeks ago just in case a passing scout bee checked them out (wishful thinking but you never know!)
Anyway, this week the weather has warmed up in the afternoons and I came home to find 20-30 bees checking out one of the empty hives, going in & out through the entrance etc. I'm just wondering if they're checking the hives out for a swarm? Is this a likely possibility at all? They've been here for 3 days now, just don't want to get my hopes up!
Thanks guys!
Jules

Scout bees just arrived at my swarm traps today and I’m in Cumbria too....

Was going to ask the same, just talking a chance in case there was a passing swarm.
Videos attached,
lots of checking out the entrance, and you can hear them pinging off the inside walls.
Two empty hives, set up with just a bit of ancient old brood comb, and a sheet of Foundation. Growing activity for the last three days, the two hives are only feet apart.
(The supers are just stacked on top, as nowhere else better to keep them, there's a full solid board between them and the brood box)

Every now and again there's a bit of a scrap at the entrances, where they gang up on a single bee, all fall to the floor and the victim flies away. Any idea why that is?
View attachment VID_20210528_094903.mp4
View attachment VID_20210528_095238.mp4

2 or more colonies are interested in the location. They are fighting for who gets it. Make sure you have alternatives near by as well and you are in for some good luck
I did wonder that. As saw one that had been set upon, escape and go into the other give next door, and go in unimpeded. Well one arrived at 1pm. So here's hoping. It was amazing.

Last edited:
It is very exciting. I had a steady build up last year until there were over twenty. Then nothing - you think it is over and they have gone elsewhere. Suddenly you hear the amazing sound of a large swarm approaching. Quite a sight to see a cloud of bees come in an arc and land on your bait hive! Good luck.

It is very exciting. I had a steady build up last year until there were over twenty. Then nothing - you think it is over and they have gone elsewhere. Suddenly you hear the amazing sound of a large swarm approaching. Quite a sight to see a cloud of bees come in an arc and land on your bait hive! Good luck.

I had quite a few scouts mid morning today and thought the numbers might build as the day went on, but they’ve pretty much all disappeared during the heat of the day.

My understanding is that warm days with little wind give the best chance of a swarm but can it be too hot and sunny? As I say the bees disappeared today as the temperature reached a peak.....or maybe they just chose a different home

As Drex. Many a slip, twixt cup and lip.

Colony may not swarm (or may be artificially swarmed). Colony may swarm and decide on a better new residence

If it happens, good. There will be more swarms. If they do arrive, they may not be as good as you might hope for. Be prepared to requeen for a more reliable colony - from several points of view (I will leave you to work those out).

Is that a homemade design? Would be interested to see pics and hear how you’ve baited it...
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/what-did-you-do-in-the-workshop-today.21943/post-761379
Can’t really claim design credit, there’s some on the internet and it was discussed on this forum a few years ago. It was trivially easy to do though.
I’ve baited with some old comb. I painted the inside with propolis (not much though, as didn’t have much). And sprinkled some lemon grass essential oil.
At lunch time I saw the 1st bee so did wipe a bit of lemon grass oil round the entrance (and dropped the charged cotton wool inside). It did seem to make a difference with increased interest subsequently but could be coincidence or just the time of day.

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/what-did-you-do-in-the-workshop-today.21943/post-761379
Can’t really claim design credit, there’s some on the internet and it was discussed on this forum a few years ago. It was trivially easy to do though.
I’ve baited with some old comb. I painted the inside with propolis (not much though, as didn’t have much). And sprinkled some lemon grass essential oil.
At lunch time I saw the 1st bee so did wipe a bit of lemon grass oil round the entrance (and dropped the charged cotton wool inside). It did seem to make a difference with increased interest subsequently but could be coincidence or just the time of day.

Like the look of that! Had a quick look for sonotube online but doesn’t seem widely available....where did you pick yours up? Does the cardboard not get squishy when it rains?

Latest posts

Back