School project pics

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
Hello, I've uploaded the school project pics for those of you who have been interested. Thanks to all of you, you have been very kind to give time to answer my questions. Hope you like the site. We are very proud. :hurray:

Nice pics Kaz.

I`m sure your bees`ll love it there. I wish my garden was that tidy :)

Darren.

Thats amazing! You have done a fantastic job -you dont fancy coming to stay in Somerset a while to help with our allotment project do you?! :hurray:

lol, alas I didn't do ANY of the clearing, I just get to do the good stuff like planting and messing with bees. I'm sure it won't remain that tidy though. The bindweed that covered the place before we got it has come through quickly. The plot used to be owned by an old lady, and when she died her family didn't want to give the plot up as they think her spirit is there as she spent her life on that plot anyway. The allotment assoc didn't want to upset them, and they didn't do anything on there so it just became a jungle of trees and really high weeds. It was like that for as long as I remember, and i've been here 10 years.

We approached the family as the plot was situated in an idea place for the school, and they agreed we could take it over, and we've called it Patsy's Secret Garden, in the ladies memory. It looks all brand new.....I hope the bees will be happy there :)

Thanks Queens, I hope they will be happy there.....we will be having the tree clipped back a bit. I read you shouldn't site a hive under a tree as in winter the heavier twigs or small branches that blow off in the wind bang the hive and disturb the bees........and we wouldn't want that :)

Im sure the bees will love it there, I'll just have to keep my bees away from your pics -don't want them getting jealous! ;)

I can't open the pics, Is something disabled?

Help admin.:cheers2:

Thanks everyone, I can't wait now for the bees. the school has used it lots already, my 4 year old had listening time and then a pirates picnic there. Some of the older kids had reading time on there too. It's good to see it being used, and I hope some of the more wary kids stop worrying about being near the bees.....I find if the parents are bothered about it, then so are their children, the parents who are up for it, their kids can't wait.

Wow that looks fantastic easy access good raised beds for the children remember they will need more water than average good to see the water buts. It is all well made and will evolve a great habitat for all the little critters living in the gaps around the timbers.

It will be great to see photos when it has established and the bees of course.

Gold Star

Thank you Tom :) One of the disabled allotment holders had a look at the plans for us and advised us on building the beds so disabled people can use them too. I know all allotments are different with regards to the amenities, but this one is good where water access is concerned. There are taps on each side of the plot, and when the shed is put on I can bring the hosepipe and other bits I bought for it. Our bees come next week and I can't wait. I think it will bring the whole thing together....I will post some pics of us welcoming them to their new home, their housewarming party as it were :)

I forgot to take a pic of the insect hotel. We have a board with terracotta pots nailed on, some upside down, some the right way. The kids are going to have to research what materials to pack them with to try and introduce the bugs...and maybe even a few bumbles to the site. Fingers crossed.

That's such a beautiful garden you've created, really fantastic - I'm amazed that Manchester City Council has been so generous - well done for getting them to be so supportive.

I'd love to get some bees at a school I work at, as I think the pupils (and some of the staff too) would really enjoy having some on site especially as it's right in the heart of the city, but I'm sure it would never be allowed for health and safety reasons :(

Our local secondary school has a couple of hives, in fact it's where I did my beek course and practicals!
I think as long as you are a member of the BBKA you are covered for public liabilty insurance, so would be fine setting up in a schools grounds? (but Im new to all this, so you would need to check it out 1st!) :eek:

I am very suprised at how many schools have hives. When we first started talking to other parents about the project, LOADS of them were very apprehensive about it. A lot of them still are. I hope they change their minds when they see the bees, minding their own business and nobody gets stung by playing in the playground. I must admit, I used to think you couldn't go within 100 yards of a hive without getting attacked lol, it's just educating people about them. It's worth asking molstar, you may be pleasantly suprised :)

Latest posts

Back