Saving a super, [I think]

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Two
I've been reading of all the people writing up to the forum within the last 3 or 4 days, reference their full supers.

Many seem to be praising how they have got supers totalling about two metres high on their hives, but honey about eight metres high, so I decided to have a look at mine this afternoon, fully expecting to find the same situation.

Wrong! Wrong! And thrice wrong!

My main hive, the one I got from Mike at "EasyBee" on 19th May, has a second [National], brood chamber on it.

I put this on because of the reputation of Mikes bees to be a bit "quick off the mark", and I thought it would give 'em plenty of elbow room.

Or knee room, perhaps, maybe bees don't have elbows!

I have a super on top as well, I was advised not to have a QX, [by PH, I think, or no QX until they got cracking on the super, anyway]

They've been totally ignoring the super up to now, but I see that they've finally started to draw the foundation.

However, the upper brood box has no brood in it at all, but the girls seem to be using it as a super - it's about one third full, but nothing capped off yet.

So, it looks like if hive number two ever gets itself in the position of needing a super, it started as a nuc on 19th June, then I might have a ready drawn set of frames ready for them - nice.

John

If you got a full hive then yes an empty 2nd brood box is a good idea. If it was a nuc then no not a good idea.

Which was it?

PH

Hello PH,

It was a full-ish hive; I bought it as a complete hive from Mike, and then watched it expand.

Reading on here about how these Carniolans were a bit energetic, I popped the second brood on.

Somebody on here said that it was a good idea, and that I'd done right, can't remember who, but I wonder if the addition of the second box, might just have coincided with the colony "peaking".

If that's the case, then that's OK by me; if they are going to have a brood box more or less full of stores for the Winter, instead of a super, and I don't get anything, I won't begrudge them one bit.

They didn't arrive until 19th May, and they've all worked very hard.

As this is my first year as a re-starter, and I didn't keep bee's for long before, I wasn't expecting to get much honey.

The other hive is the one that I started as a nuc, and that's got problems of it's own that I've put on another thread this afternoon - remember bee's nadging the wax off the wires?

Well, now I've got a dose of the "wax nadgers", intend to change the frame tomorrow, see what happens.

Thinking of creating two more nucs on Friday, if Mikes' got two Queens, so I hope a frame change will stop 'em.

John

Latest posts

Back