save the bees in the uk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bensbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
3500 hive and 10 000 queen nuks
:cheers2:

Last edited:
Why would we need to re-stock?
Are you on holiday in oz ben or are you an Australian?
Do they have Israeli Virus in oz?

Israeli Virus i dont thank so

how bad r the losses this year in the uk

restock the whole country? is this a genuine proposal?

Hi bensbees,
You say restock the country with bees from Oz. as they are Varroa free,
So what do we do with the colonies that we have now that have a Varroa problem?

Please don't say we destroy all UK colonies and refresh with Oz bees, because it would be impossible to completely get rid of Varroa.

I don't really understand why the question in the first place.

Regards;

sorry ben but you get the barking mad idea medal from me, it is easier to not restock to but re-educate, try these ideas

instead of trying to eradicate a pest by killing every single bee nest in the whole of the uk and then importing a new bee with a new pest, which you will, the sixze of operation that will happen say the importation of what 200,000 hives say we have an infection rate of 1% thats still 2,000 polluted nests you will have and belive me they will get in

just queens only, lets just bring in pure clean queens and breed clean bees, again still a none starter due to our wild population

this is the edit version and again i apologise to anyone i have offened!!!

Last edited:
Small hive beetle, what happens if it arrives here? If already proven natural control methods are implemented, a bit of an annoyance, if Big Ag pokes it's nose in, aided and abetted by it's wholly-owned subsidiaries of the BBKA, DEFRA and HM Government, another blo*dy disaster!:svengo:

Hey Pete, don't judge all by one persons behaviour. (are all teenage youths 'yobs' - in your book??? I sincerely hope not!!)

We have a great inspector in Sussex. He always comes in cleanly laundered suit, immaculate hive tool, and happy to be offered one from my stock of hive tools. He is most helpful, and if there is a problem, will contact same day and advise or visit asap. Alan gives talks that are really informative, and worth every penny. I am sure his colleagues are the same though it is only Alan I have had a visit from (my invitation).

And the mind boggles at the restocking comment - loony tunes :willy_nilly:

Can we restock the uk bee population

We could IF we had to, but why? The Australians do not allow imports and are 'frantically' resisting any back-door entry (accidental and otherwise) of foreign bees. My own personal view is we should all act likewise. Humans are responsible for both varroa infestations in the UK and also CCD. Make no mistake about that.

if Small hive beetle gets to the uk?

You would be saying 'when' not 'if'. It will be another disaster for the bees to cope with.

-------------------------------------------------------------

You might advocate GM flora and fauna, too. Just think about it carefully. Humans will make mistakes with GM. It is not a case of 'if' but 'when'.

One mistake could lead to the end of civilisation, as we know it. The GM advocates will say 'what a silly reponse' but think back and you will find it is human activity which is changing this planet into a desert in one way or another. Think DDT, Thalidomide, CFCs (ozone depletion), loss of equatorial rainforests, intoduction of nuclear arsenals, loss of bio-diversity, last leakage of foot and mouth in the UK, diminshing fossil fuels, dioxin production. Think of a host of others. All touted as 'for the good of the human poulation' at the time.

Humans have made so many blunders, but it is now,more than ever, that they might be so much more serious.

I, personally, find it interesting that the HIV virus is very similar to smallpox. The origins were traced back to the same time period and location as the small pox eradication programme. Hmmmm.. Just a coincidence? I think not, but as no definitive proof has ever been put forward, it can neither be discounted or proven. Someone, somewhere may know better.

End orf rant.

Are you actually a new beek or are you still in education? Was just wondering whether this question has arisen from a school discussion/assignment. It might make a good topic for classroom debate.

Back to the bees.

Regards, RAB

Hedgerow pete,

I find your comments regarding Bee inspectors RIGHT OUT OF ORDER.
You should seriously take a good look at what you have written, and in my opinion should appologise.

simply all bee inspectors are disease carring plague rats, first rules of bio securrity is that all equipment and clothes should be clean and sterile,

This is absolute rubbish.

Regards;

Well said Bcrazy, Pete you are well out of line.
I have had 3 different inspectors to see my bees all were profesional, well dressed in clean suits, hive tools in containers of sterile fluid, and all wore disposible latex gloves. They have a job to do and they all do this to a VERY high profesional standard. These people are here to help us! use them.
Dean

i find it so simple to wind people up when i am not trying, to all that have taken offence i humbly appologise

and now back to ranting,
a question to daytonadean and heather, one simple question you have both said that your bee inspectors have arrived with cleanly pressed suits, fair play mine did not . Secondly evan in a cleanly pressed suit he would be breaking many bio security rules by re using his old suit, have a quick look at any of the foot and mouth farms on tube all the people were wearing disposable suits, use for the day and then dispose or dispose before going else where, disposalble gloves are great so is using your tools or disposable ones but what was his foot wear can i ask???. also does anyone own some thing like jayes fuild or hypochlorite as a cleaning wash? i do.

I like many others and yes it is true , i like many other do not have varroa mite in my hives thats 5 varroa free hives so far, yes they can get infected from other sources but the ones that are avalible for me to stop will be. I have also breed from these hives and have the posible chance if all survive which i dought but come the spring i could have another 48 varroa free nuc hives. i have also in place, 4 differant experiments to try and remove varroa from another set of 100 nucs. each one will be judge and will be writen up and video recorded for all to see if they work or not.

all of which will be in great danger from some unclean person or persons, so not only am i hidding them from thieves but also other beeks and beek inspectors, and final part of rant is i keep bees my way , i have never or will i ever bend to popular opinions or methods and if you realy want me up on ten soap boxes get me started on government interferance and the bbka/ chemical companies now thats a rant and half

but lastly this thread was started with a honest and simple question do i believe there is a chance of restocking the uk with new bees, yes there is we did it in 1930 after isle of white disease, after all the uk bees were disimatted , all the black bees are dead, except for the several hundred that i know of and some i keep!! so the question continues, and as i said earlier, sorry, to all that dont have my experiences or understanding of bio security, i hope you never have to

I am finding it hard to understand why you bother to post such offencive material.

When new beekeepers read your posts it gives an impression of a "Know it all" when in actual fact you just show yourself up to what you are, and that's an imbecile.

I have informed Admin that I can no longer be a member of this forum whilst you continue to post your insolent comments about Bee Inspectors.

So it now leaves me to wish everyone on this forum the very best for the future, and most of all enjoy your beekeeping.

Goodbye to you all!

Regards;

Last edited:
I will pm both Bcrazy and Hedgerow Pete to try to resolve any problems off the forum rather than in threads.

Mark..

Instead i had the world most arragent idiot turn up wanting to use his old used and dirty equipment
Strange you should mention this as we had almost exactly the same problem a month ago here - They turned up with a filthy beesuits and gloves and a hive tool that was full of grime - I told him and his female assistant, who smelt like she hadn't had a bath for at least a week, to bugger off and to come back with clean clothes/equipment and to make sure that the female assistant next time was one without a moustache. They muttered something about some forms to fill in as I drove away.
Best regards
Norton.

Can we restock the uk bee population with bees from australia. In australia they do not have Varroa and no CCD problem. But they have Small hive beetle. what will happen if Small hive beetle gets to the uk? will it be a much of a problem?

ok back on the topic in hand, assuming its a genuine question :) you want to restock what exactly? UK feral colonies or beekeepers colonies? either way until the causes of the current issues are identified there is little value in just importing more bees/queens to struggle, and as was said before these may also bring other pests/diseases. As I understood it Australia was currently in a better position with its bee health due to isolation rather than having a better strain of bee.

Importing/exporting livestock has to be seen (IMO) as bad practice in the long term, not just in terms of bees but for general world bio stability - I think.

Yes species movement naturally occurs but its slow, we have to look inwards to resolve these things rather than outwards for quick fixes.

JD

Last edited:
again i appologise to you in person but my comments are made from my experiences and are not made from yours, i have very strong views yes , but each view that i print is also printed with the information that i have made my opinions from.
i neither teach or try to sway others i just simply put my views on line if you disagree then i totaly dont mind please prove me wrong i am more than willing to retrack or appologise for unfounded opinions , but i dont normal use them on line, every thing i print has either been tried several times to prove either way what is or not posible i have printed several times where i have made massive mistakes for others to learn from. as for being a know it all i wish!
to prove my point i have killed over 40 queens this year that i tried to breed from because they were all rubbish and have proberly made evan more mistakes than others through my ignorances.

the thing i do find offensive and this works on several areas, i have answered a question about restocking bee populations from a newbee, which i have stated where i think it will not go forward and then listed my reasons again to prove as it were my thinking. several people have disagreed with this ideas, which i think is very exceptable and some found some of my thinking offencive for which i then very promptly appologised for and then i have tried to again explain my ideas behind my reason for these reasons why restocking will not work, all are based on my own true experiences and on standard knowlegde about bee bio security ideas that were imparted to me from other animal husbandry standards, standards that i agree with. but what realy bugs me is rather than suggesting several ways for a newbeek to learn from, you start a very personal attack unfounded with any idea of what i am trying to impart to newbeeks which again is bio security ideas not anything else, never have i ever personaly attacked anyone on this forum i have only ever tried to educate others with knowledge which they can make there own minds up as to whever or not they wish to except,

so for the last time on this thread

TO ALL I HAVE OFFENDED I APOLOGISE TO ANYONE ELSE THAT HAS HAD A GREAT BEE INSPECTORR I SALUTE YOU BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER HAD, TO ALL PROPERLY TRAINED BEE INSPECTORS I APPOLIGISE FOR MY COMMENTS AND MAY YOU CONTINUE WITH YOUR HARD WORK AND BETTER KNOWLEDGE THAN ME , TO ALL THAT HAVE MEMBERSHIP OF A CLUB OR MENTOR THAT TEACHES GREAT AND GOOD IDEAS TO YOU , EVAN BETTER .

I WAS TAUGHT IN A DIFFERANT AGE THAT DOES NOT BRING DISTRUST FROM OTHER BEEKS AND THAT DOES COME THROUGH MY POSTS FOR WHICH I AGAIN APPOLOGISE,

I HAVE AND ALWAYS WILL BE A BEEK THAT WILL EXPLAIN AS MANY TIMES TO SOMEONE WHAT EVER THIER QUESTION IS, THE ANSWERS THAT ARE AVALIBLE TO THEM. WHEVER IT SUITS MY IDEALS OR NOT. ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS TAKE WHAT EVER I HAVE SAID AND SIT AT HOME AND THINK ABOUT IT, WHEVER YOU USE OR DISCARD THESE IDEAS I DONT CARE BUT AT LEAST SEE ALL THE REASONS AND SEE IF IT COULD WORK FOR YOUR SET UP. EVERY ITEM I HAVE STATED HAS HAPPENED TO ME, WHEVER YOU WISH TO BELIVE ME OR NOT MAKES NO DIFFERANCE TO ME AS A RELIGOUS MAN, I DONT LIE SO I AM NOT FUSSED WHAT YOU THINK OF ME AS SOMEONE JUDGES ME.

AND FINALY TO ALL I APPOLIGISE AGAIN BUT PLEASE DO NOT PERSONAL ATTACK OTHER FORUM MEBERS, THERE IS NO NEED, JUST DO WHAT I DO AND THATS WRITE UP YOUR REASONS WHY YOU DISAGREE AND LET THE READER DECIDE WHATS RIGHT FOR THEM

and finaly i will remove the offensive post but if anyone wants to pm me i will send it to them and then they can decide whever or not it is offence and so i let people agin free to decide what is exceptable to read

Latest posts

Back