Sales technique

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know what you have to do to make cut comb food grade? Not planning on doing it just interested.

I plan on only doing cut comb but wont be selling it. I just want enough for percy and family. :)

As far as i'm aware and what I'm going to use is a stainless steel cut comb cutter and 8oz plastic trays, I guess the labeling falls in to the same category as the jars, but apart from that I don;t think there is anything else to worry about.

Maybe one of the experienced beeks can give us all some more info or anything else we should be aware of with producing cut comb honey.

Cheers

Mark.

Forget the ss cutter, gets very sticky and messy.

Use a knife and make a former to cut round so your comb fits your container.

PH

PH, do you need to be careful of the type of foundation you use...is it better just to have a starter strip on the frames?
Thanks
AMAE

I use cut comb foundation. I would not go the route of letting the bees make wild comb in the frames as they are likely to build drone cell.

I am not commenting on Thornes foundation but I buy mine from Kemble as over time I have found the quality to be just excellent.

PH

I use cut comb foundation. I would not go the route of letting the bees make wild comb in the frames as they are likely to build drone cell.

I am not commenting on Thornes foundation but I buy mine from Kemble as over time I have found the quality to be just excellent.

PH

That's my experience of using foundationless super frames this year. Just as a matter of interest what's the issue with drone cell? I think it looks a little less attractive but can't think of a downside otherwise.

That is the issue yes, The look of it. comb honey is a deluxe product and it should look lovely and as it does look pretty it commands a very good price.

If you just want a few bits then put a Manley frame in the middle of the top super, not near the brood box as it may get pollen in it. They will happily fill it for you and it makes it all easy.

I make up the frame but with only ONE bottom bar (anyone wanting spare bottom bars pm me.... LOL) and I do not use the wedge either. I fit in the foundation which may need a wee trim with a knife as there are no grooves in the Manley frames, and glue it in with molten wax. A technique I thought of after having a lot of my carefully nailed up frames loose their foundation driving up the landy track to the heather.

Hope this helps.

PH

Thanks PH, Always good to page the Oracle!

AMAE

Yess.... but no one ever understood the answers the Oracle gave.... ;)

PH

There is no spoon.

Latest posts

Back