safe chemicals for bees

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Brooklyn 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
We try to do as much organic gardening as possible at the house. We have plum, nectarine trees. a large rose and vegetable Garden. Several red maples and all sorts of flowers and plants. My question, is there some place that I can go to make sure what I use around the yard are not harmful to bees? We will be starting off this growing season with two hives. We have 1/2 and acer of land. I would like to be able to take care of the plants but not hurt the bees.

Thanks for the help
Brooklyn

plumber 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
see if there is a natural predator for the pests
you wish to control and assit them.

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
In the UK I think almost if not all of the chemicals people can buy for their gardens, if used according to the instructions, will not do any signficant harm to insects and bees in general - except of course for the insects that are targetted. Many of the common pesticides previously available have been withdrawn in recent years.

In the US I fear the position is very different, so I can only suggest things like not spraying and if you have to spray do it late in the evening or very early in the morning when the bees are not flying. You can also take the bees away for a few days to another site at least 3 miles away. But ideally, as suggested, use other methods such as organic techniques and don't forget physical barriers - our cabbages and the like suffered very badly from caterpillers until we started growing them under a fleece - which is a fine material which lets light and water through but keeps out the bugs. They must be available in the US but not sure what they are called. However, they are not really applicable for trees.

Latest posts