Safe beekeeping during Covid-19

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just reading in another thread about mentoring, and the difficulty of keeping 2m away while inspecting.

I haven’t carried out inspection yet, but I do it by myself anyway.

However, there might be other issues some of us haven’t considered for our beekeeping.

Any tips or advice?

I will wear an FP3 mask suitable for OA vaping - if beekeeping with another person. Medical one is FFP3.

No it is not perfect but is far better than masks which do not have an air tight seal to the face...

There is some new thinking on masks.. reversing prior opinions they were not worthwhile for members of the public... but wdik..

As with all things viral there is no simple answer. Disposable face masks that are not close fitting will not protect against aerosolized virus. There is the concern that people wearing face masks are lulled into a false sense of security and become more lapsed to social distancing and good hygeinic practices. Where disposable face masks are helpful is catching droplets when worn by infected persons to prevent spread in public places or in cohabited environments during self isolation where it is difficult to segregate ones self off if one is infected. (Also a good idea during self isolation to keep windows open as much as possible to reduce aerosol titres within confined spaces).

As for full fitting HEPA masks then that's the gold standard but they are now hard to get hold of and are best saved for those that really need them caring for sick patients.

With respect to mentoring ask yourself the question. Is it absolutely necessary that it be done right now or can it wait until social distancing has been lifted? I would suggest that mentoring can wait. Tending to hives in isolation i.e. unaccompanied, may be argued to be essential work provided that the work done cannot be delayed until later with no detrimental effect to the hive.

As with all things viral there is no simple answer. Disposable face masks that are not close fitting will not protect against aerosolized virus. There is the concern that people wearing face masks are lulled into a false sense of security and become more lapsed to social distancing and good hygeinic practices. Where disposable face masks are helpful is catching droplets when worn by infected persons to prevent spread in public places or in cohabited environments during self isolation where it is difficult to segregate ones self off if one is infected. (Also a good idea during self isolation to keep windows open as much as possible to reduce aerosol titres within confined spaces).

As for full fitting HEPA masks then that's the gold standard but they are now hard to get hold of and are best saved for those that really need them caring for sick patients.

With respect to mentoring ask yourself the question. Is it absolutely necessary that it be done right now or can it wait until social distancing has been lifted? I would suggest that mentoring can wait. Tending to hives in isolation i.e. unaccompanied, may be argued to be essential work provided that the work done cannot be delayed until later with no detrimental effect to the hive.

Of course it's essential work, you have a responsibility to your colonies and possibly the public if they swarm. Notifiable diseases are still notifiable and you won't know what is required unless you check.
I don't know about others but I drive to my colonies and then drive home. Far less risk than walking down the corner shop.

As regards surfaces and infected areas etc.

How long is the virus able to live on such surfaces?

I’m just thinking of shed doors, hive tools, gates etc... People may be distancing from their mentor/co-beekeeper etc, but just wondered if there’s a risk when touching surfaces others have touched, minutes, hours or even a day before?

As regards surfaces and infected areas etc.

How long is the virus able to live on such surfaces?

I’m just thinking of shed doors, hive tools, gates etc... People may be distancing from their mentor/co-beekeeper etc, but just wondered if there’s a risk when touching surfaces others have touched, minutes, hours or even a day before?

72 hours quoted for hard surfaces.But lasts longer in cold allegedly..

Any virus exposed to UV (sunlight) likely to be much less..

We did an inspection of 25 hives at a two part group apiary on Monday, which was after the social distancing rules came out but before the latest 'lockdown'.

The rule we came up with was that we had to arrive at the apiary wearing gloves and a face mask. The type of face mask was not specified as it was intended to protect the people in front from coughs and sneezes - not the person wearing the mask.

There were six of us. One member stayed in the shed, the only enclosed space, and handed out equipment and updated records. I worked alone counting mites on the 10 hives that had monitoring boards in - I subsequently treated one heavily varroa-infected hive with VarroMed. The others were split into two teams of two - one beekeeper doing the manipulations, the other standing 2 metres away writing up the records as the inspection proceeded.

The system worked pretty well but it was very easy, when concentrating on a particular beekeeping issue ("look at this, what do you think?"), to forget about the 2m distancing - we almost needed a person whose sole job was to monitor social distancing ("Hey, you're too close!").

I think in the immediate future, there will only be lone working at the apiary, carrying out jobs from the list of tasks agreed in advance over the internet.

CVB

As Swarm, I drive to my colonies, I also carry a copy of the Covid 19 printout from the NBU, just incase I get stopped by the police and they don't think it is necessary travel. It is there for education purposes only. Mentoring is still necessary, other ways of doing it would be through Skype, WhatsApp and video calling, provided you both have smart phones. You may not get the best images, but at least you are still mentoring or being mentored.

Which is why hand washing is so critical. Always wash your hands first thing when you get home preferably touching as little as possible on the way in. Always wash your hands before eating or drinking and when out and about don't touch your face without having washed or sanitized your hands first. The virus can infect you simply by rubbing your eyes with contaminated hands.

Also be careful around public toilets as although most transmission of the virus is through oropharyngeal secretions and tears, faecal transmission is also possible. Studies conducted on viral titre in faecal matter showed the virus to be present in faecal matter in a significant number of infected individuals. Unfortunately flushing toilets creates aerosols and therefore public toilets represent a potential infection risk apart from possible contamination from blow driers from hand washing.

Other advice around food is to avoid take away food which is cold prepared by hand as packaging and the food itself if not heated above 40°C may act as fomites (sites of physical rather than aerosol transmission) for coronavirus infection.

The best advice is stay home unless you really have to.

Mentoring is still necessary, other ways of doing it would be through Skype, WhatsApp and video calling, provided you both have smart phones. You may not get the best images, but at least you are still mentoring or being mentored.

I've been mentoring two beepeepers remotely for the last three seasons and they've turned out pretty well, we still communicate regularly although I think they could fly solo very easily.
I'm bound to check my bees as I have a duty of care to my livestock, just carry my BFA paperwork with me (and my warrant card in case speaking very slowly doesn't work :D)

Last edited:
Which is why hand washing is so critical. Always wash your hands first thing when you get home preferably touching as little as possible on the way in. Always wash your hands before eating or drinking and when out and about don't touch your face without having washed or sanitized your hands first. The virus can infect you simply by rubbing your eyes with contaminated hands.

Also be careful around public toilets as although most transmission of the virus is through oropharyngeal secretions and tears, faecal transmission is also possible. Studies conducted on viral titre in faecal matter showed the virus to be present in faecal matter in a significant number of infected individuals. Unfortunately flushing toilets creates aerosols and therefore public toilets represent a potential infection risk apart from possible contamination from blow driers from hand washing.

Other advice around food is to avoid take away food which is cold prepared by hand as packaging and the food itself if not heated above 40°C may act as fomites (sites of physical rather than aerosol transmission) for coronavirus infection.

The best advice is stay home unless you really have to.

Most of this is just good hygiene practice you should be following anyway.

Latest posts

Back