Sad Loss!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite right WPC though I don't usually bother.

This shows some of those freshly opened cells with a rough rim. You can often find some in a dead colony.

varroa29.jpg

The Varroa faeces are right in the back top corner, and you can see some here.
varroa10.jpg

G.

I've looked at samples from dead colonies in Scotland in the last few years and found one with Nosema in about 20 apiaries looked at.

I really hope Scotland remains fairly nosema free,or any other place that does not have it,but i have checked apairys big and small in the past, and found every colony to have nosema.

springers,
Did you treat with thymol in the late summer as a varroa treatment? Does the brood chamber have any stores in it or is it empty with stores only in the super? do you have a queen excluder on the brood chamber? Is it the original queen or one much younger?

Hello Hebeegeebee
The brood box had stores left in the outer 4 frames, looks like they didn't venture out to them, the super was full, the Q ex was still on, there were bees in cells in 2 areas of the centre frames about 4" apart. We didn't use apiguard which I now think was our biggest mistake. The hatching bees I examined didn't appear to have white varroa droppings, but were small and the wings didn't look too good. The queen was last years as we took a nuc with the original one. We tested some with the micro scope for nosema but couldn't see any. OA at Xmas.

Latest posts

Back