sack brood/Chinese slipper cured:-)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickndoris

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have had a problem with one of my 5 frame standard nat nuc in that it has been suffering from sack/chalk brood, Chinese slipper to the point of been so bad I was worried it was EFB. Called out me local inspector who advised me it was not and maybe get rid of HM. Well, the colony even with it's problems was a fighter and with so many bees in there it would be a shame so I fed them early on with 2-1 and 1ml to 1L of Hive Makers anti mould recipe. That was 10 days ago. Today there is absolutely no sign of any problems and the colony/nuc is spotless and thriving to the point it might run out of room to grow very soon! So thanks HM for sharing your knowledge.

I have had a problem with one of my 5 frame standard nat nuc in that it has been suffering from sack/chalk brood, Chinese slipper to the point of been so bad I was worried it was EFB. Called out me local inspector who advised me it was not and maybe get rid of HM. Well, the colony even with it's problems was a fighter and with so many bees in there it would be a shame so I fed them early on with 2-1 and 1ml to 1L of Hive Makers anti mould recipe. That was 10 days ago. Today there is absolutely no sign of any problems and the colony/nuc is spotless and thriving to the point it might run out of room to grow very soon! So thanks HM for sharing your knowledge.

Recipe please.

Recipe please.

30g thymol crystals
5ml iso propyl alcohol
heat in waterbath to dissolve
140ml water 1 tsp lecithin
10 min in waterbath to dissolve
mix add 5mi per gallon 2:1 sugar syrup /4,6 litre

:biggrinjester:Some add garlic powder...!:biggrinjester:

Last edited:
Have used HM's recipe for past two years. No nosema problems at all - and no mouldy syrup as a bonus.

30g thymol crystals
5ml iso propyl alcohol
heat in waterbath to dissolve
140ml water 1 tsp lecithin
10 min in waterbath to dissolve
mix add 5mi per gallon 2:1 sugar syrup /4,6 litre

:biggrinjester:Some add garlic powder...!:biggrinjester:

Emulsified thymol pre mix.

30g thymol crystals placed in honey jar,add 5ml of isopropyl alcohol to the crystals,place jar into a water bath of boiling water to speed up the dissolving process.
In another jar pour in 140 ml of boiling water and add 1 teaspoon of lecithin granules, stir well,and place this jar into a water bath of boiling water,stirring often for abot ten minutes or so until most of the lecithin granules have dissolved,you can then strain this mixture through a teastrainer or similar to remove any granules that have not dissolved fully,then simply add the dissolved thymol to this mix,and shake well,will look just like a jar of milk.
To use add 5ml to each gallon of syrup and stir well,syrup will go milky,unlike when using the old original mix.
If the mixture forms any crystals at a later date,tip into old small pan and reheat,do this outdoors.

not worthyDefinitely do this outdoors !not worthy

Latest posts

Back