Sacbrood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonstandard

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
9 colonies & 2 nucs
During our last inspection we found evidence of sacbrood, apart from re-queening we can find no other advice on t'internet or in Hooper etc.

We found it in an A/S we took on 26th May, the brood is from the parent colony. The child colony looks like it will turn out to be drone laying as I have multiple eggs in cells but were giving it another week in case it's just the new queen practising.

Our plan is to reunite the two colonies back together and re-queen, we were also planning on working out any older comb while re-uniting the two colonies.

Any advice or helpful comments would be welcome.

multiple eggs can be a new queen starting to lay and just getting the hang of things, give it a few weeks and see how the laying progresses

I needed to provide bees for a heap of apideas last summer and over-harvested young bees from one strong colony with hindsight. It came down with marked sacbrood probably as it had become unbalanced re workload.

The colony was recombined back with its AS and requeened. The worst frames were burned in a pit to reduce the viral burden. No sign this season.

it will turn out to be drone laying as I have multiple eggs in cells

As VEG, no correlation for the above, Im afraid.

Last edited:
I have had a few queens that start off by laying multiple eggs in cells and they turned out to be ok so there is correlation on the above

As most queens turn out to be worker brood layers, I would expect many more to be noted as such. Still no correlation, all the same.

if i saw a black cat you will have seen a blacker one:rolleyes:

if i saw a black cat you will have seen a blacker one

You can look for as many black cats as you want. There will still be no statisical correlation between initial multiple eggs and whether those eggs are fertilised or not. Simple fact. If you have any evidence to the contrary show it. Your personal experience of a tiny, no miniscule population is no proof at all.

By the way, would your claim be of a positive correlation or a negative correlation? It would be interesting to hear how you worked it out (mathematically, of course)

multiple eggs can be a new queen starting to lay and just getting the hang of things, give it a few weeks and see how the laying progresses
:iagree:

Seen this a lot.

RAB it wouldn't matter what was posted you would post to the contrary.
Your posts are on the whole good but the manner in which you come across on a lot of them sucks. You simply wouldn't get away with it face to face, I am not the only one to notice this either.

Last edited:
There are times I feel like banging RAB and Veg's heads together :banghead::banghead::banghead:

my original comment was

The child colony looks like it will turn out to be drone laying as I have multiple eggs in cells but were giving it another week in case it's just the new queen practising.
OK the English is not great as it should have been 'we' and 'were' but I had noted the fact that multiple eggs could be a new queen settling in. I have seen drone laying before so have a reasonable understanding of what it looks like and the fact that I need to wait and see what the sealed brood looks like. Also drone layer or not I wasn't even asking about that and it's irrelevant as I have already stated that I'm going to re-unite.

susbees, thank you for that, advice from elsewhere has been not to breed from the colony as it is a viral disease which is why I was going to re-unite and re-queen (the colony also has a minor attitude problem). I will pull the worst frames when I recombine and dispose of them.

Latest posts

Back