Sacbrood & Requeening

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiderplantman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Evenin all. Recently we identified a case of sacbrood in one of our hives. It’s in a hive that has struggled a bit all year for various reasons and recently requeened (supercedure). Obviously this queen is struggling too, so it’s probably bad genetics.

I’ve read that the only way to deal with it is to pinch out the queen and requeen from different stock, but is it now too late in the year to requeen and overwinter successfully? Should I wait until Spring and then do it? To be honest, the numbers aren’t wow in the colony anyway, and the supercedure hasn’t helped matters.

or, will a new queen have time to mate, start laying and get to overwintering numbers before cold weather sets in?

How many cells of sacbrood have you seen?

Sacbrood, like chalkbrood, can be exacerbated by stress. Are your bees definitely not suffering from a high varroa load? Requeening won't do anything if so, until you deal with the varroa. Just one possibility anyway

I’d say around 10-15 over 2 frames (4 sides). This queen hasn’t been laying long, so there’s no more brood than those 2 frames.

That sounds like an epitaph in advance. A hive that weak should be in a nuc: it is unlikely to survive a winter in a full size hive.

Last edited:
I’d say around 10-15 over 2 frames (4 sides). This queen hasn’t been laying long, so there’s no more brood than those 2 frames.

That's a significant amount.

And the varroa question?

You mention this hive has struggled for various reasons. What reasons?

That sounds like an epitaph in advance. A hive that week should be in a nuc: it is unlikely to survive a winter in a full size hive.

Yea, that was my concern. They’ve kind of dwindled this year, all stemming from a supercedure at the start of the year, leading to her being superceeded herself by this current one. Just bad luck after bad luck for this particular colony when all their neighbours have been going great guns. Not entirely sure what to do with them really.

Yea, that was my concern. They’ve kind of dwindled this year, all stemming from a supercedure at the start of the year, leading to her being superceeded herself by this current one. Just bad luck after bad luck for this particular colony when all their neighbours have been going great guns. Not entirely sure what to do with them really.

So how have you treated for Varroa and when?

Supercedure doesn't cause a hive to dwindle

agreed, but the previous queen took a looong time to start laying and even the. Wasn’t a particularly prolific layer then either, which I guess is why she was superceeded also. So rather than a population explosion over spring and summer, it’s all been a bit pants.
Varroa-wise they had apivar in autumn and oxalic trickle at Xmas, but nothing since. I’ve looked closely for Varroa and didn’t see any, but I doubt they’re not there in significant numbers, something I normally treat as part of the whole apiary in Autumn.

agreed, but the previous queen took a looong time to start laying and even the. Wasn’t a particularly prolific layer then either, which I guess is why she was superceeded also. So rather than a population explosion over spring and summer, it’s all been a bit pants.
Varroa-wise they had apivar in autumn and oxalic trickle at Xmas, but nothing since. I’ve looked closely for Varroa and didn’t see any, but I doubt they’re not there in significant numbers, something I normally treat as part of the whole apiary in Autumn.

Get treating now would be my advice. Don't wait.

Get them in the smallest warmest box possible and cross your fingers.

Don't think about requeening. That's not your issue, IMHO

PS make sure they don't starve, but only feed if you have to (attracts wasps) and keep the entrance tiny or wasps will finish them off.
Yep, they’re on a teeny, tiny entrance, and I was feeding 1:1 syrup before the flow a few weeks ago as they didn’t have much in the way of stores. Will whack some Apivar strips in pronto.

Feed fondant. A biggish chunk. And after treating leave them undisturbed until next treatment action.

Fondant on top bars is far safer regarding robbing (bees as well as wasps)

Latest posts

Back