Runner beans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
I'm starting mine early this year.
I've made a heated bench
c288cee0e35e2196d9e9071b62698ce4.jpg
bfb999d1811f5d7a04b6695305b42466.jpg

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Late April job here.

That's alot of seed. Taking it that you will be making a profit at the gate!!!!!
Tomatoes 8 inches high. Chillies not far behind. Use heated bench and grow light.
Asparagus just showing through. Will be selling that in two weeks!
I expect a queue down the road!
E

That's alot of seed. Taking it that you will be making a profit at the gate!!!!!
Tomatoes 8 inches high. Chillies not far behind. Use heated bench and grow light.
E
I grow 2kg of runners every year sell some give most of them to my neighbours.
The usual Eric.
I've radish, spring onions, broard beans, spring cabbage, Tom's, melons, kale, onions,
My Tom's are..
2405db285d2f7478b4a27170afbcb440.jpg
638e61d61c2ffdb5ea6c309f730b3de5.jpg

You Lot are making me jealous, only just got round to potting up half my seeds few weeks back, 4 lots of toms, Chill, peppers, aubergines, beans, Kohlrabi, courgette, and still got quite a bit to do.
But still got a few bags of toms, chillies and peppers in the freezer from last year!

Last couple of toms and cucumbers pots ready to go into tunnel, just need to replace 'blown' double glazed window now!!
S

Attachments

• IMG_0142.JPG
    IMG_0142.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 47
E

Just make sure your queue'ers maintain the distancing rules!!

Just make sure your queue'ers maintain the distancing rules!!
As if! home grown produce is like honey, liquid gold.
Here's an up date on the runner's there germinating so my makeshift heated bench is working. That and warm weather this week.
These are coming on to.
Also time to organize the ladders for all the runner bean plants.
066e4e5b3c79e4dccbad1efcdf1356eb.jpg
2d45d44301ab478840b60b96695d20e4.jpg
4a969b7d6bc5ba2bff72aa0c726d0511.jpg
7b51c720686d772f13e0df47a77e89aa.jpg
08e5137a2f480d29c45d56f4f2b3ff04.jpg

One could say the poppy's have taken over..
Purple annual poppy which I started in the tunnel mainly to collect seed for propagation has taken over.
It's going to be an interesting morning pulling these all up, some will go in pots.
740d5b824343a49cfd517fd100373c29.jpg

I feel very fortunate down here on the Costa del Farehem, the weather has been very good for a few weeks now. Spuds, onions, shallots, garlic in the ground three weeks ago and already showing. Runners, broad beans, squash, parsnips, sweetcorn all seeded up in the greenhouse and in the warm weather will be germinating with a bit of luck ready to go in the ground towards the end of the month. Salad leaves sown in pots in the greenhouse, basil, parsley and some other bits as well. Lock down has some benefits I suppose !

Stop it, I've got naff all in the ground, going to scrounge some Runner Bean seeds off my mate, so feeling quite jealous.
Currently finding weeding difficult and tiring, the veg patch has gone over to wildflower seed this year.

I feel very fortunate down here on the Costa del Farehem, the weather has been very good for a few weeks now. Spuds, onions, shallots, garlic in the ground three weeks ago and already showing. Runners, broad beans, squash, parsnips, sweetcorn all seeded up in the greenhouse and in the warm weather will be germinating with a bit of luck ready to go in the ground towards the end of the month. Salad leaves sown in pots in the greenhouse, basil, parsley and some other bits as well. Lock down has some benefits I suppose !

SWMBO decided last year that she was going to take over the garden (funny how I still end up digging the damn thing).
Unfortunately she is determined to listen to the yootoob and facebook experts rather than at least acknowledge that some of us made them mistakes years ago and were guided by people who made their mistakes back when Adolf was still painting houses.
I'm really struggling to convince her that our seasons don't follow the same dates as them on the South coast - or even that trumpet Monty in his twee little townie's paradise in the marches. It's hard not to interject and be accused of interfering then still getting the blame when things go wrong, even with this weather my grandfather would call me a fool to even look at a garden fork at this time of the year. She's had plants running for the light in the dining room the last month, the only thing vaguely on track (and only vaguely) are the spuds and tomatoes!!

SWMBO decided last year that she was going to take over the garden (funny how I still end up digging the damn thing).

Unfortunately she is determined to listen to the yootoob and facebook experts rather than at least acknowledge that some of us made them mistakes years ago and were guided by people who made their mistakes back when Adolf was still painting houses.

I'm really struggling to convince her that our seasons don't follow the same dates as them on the South coast - or even that trumpet Monty in his twee little townie's paradise in the marches. It's hard not to interject and be accused of interfering then still getting the blame when things go wrong, even with this weather my grandfather would call me a fool to even look at a garden fork at this time of the year. She's had plants running for the light in the dining room the last month, the only thing vaguely on track (and only vaguely) are the spuds and tomatoes!!
Leave monty alone, its not his fault he's spoon feed gardening knowledge.
Im about to plant my beans out will maybe have some fleece to hand incase of the frosts.
3rd and 4th pics cabbage and radish which need to grow a bit nice though.
I blanch the radish leaves.
What are you harvesting?
ba5eb5bf5918d84e0603fd377e95a73b.jpg
690256f839e4f4b5c8905e489b86bd4d.jpg
f942f0ba101d84f1b8179bbccf4dea33.jpg
82ce2b34149cd943d56bafa594a61699.jpg
02582e395d9fc1e86088ef796137586b.jpg

58f824ed61972ca8f12cacf347d9708d.jpg

Last edited:
attachment.php
This was two weeks ago. Poly tunnel makes all the difference but we’re fleecing these at night if frost is forecast. In a couple of weeks they will get moved apart. Planted in bottomless pits which get sunk into the ground.
Potatoes in buckets are well through. Can’t plant in ground as they get eaten

Attachments

• 667ED555-5E22-4E82-A4DB-5D7EA1FC1C44.jpeg
    667ED555-5E22-4E82-A4DB-5D7EA1FC1C44.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 76
attachment.php

Potatoes in buckets are well through. Can’t plant in ground as they get eaten

What eats your potatoes - wire worms ? I used to have the same problem with whites - absolutely riddled with work holes - by the time 'er indoors had pared them with a knife and cut the holes out (she's a bit fussy and despite my training with a potato peeler there's more peelings than is left !).

But .. last year I changed to Desiree and Roosters .. no holes whatsoever ! There are still peelings more than potatoes but at least they survive the hole culling !

I'm trying sweet potatoes in potato bags for the first time this year - have some hope for a semi tropical Costa del Fareham ...

No idea about what eats them, but eaten they get.
We now grow Charlotte for both early and main, Golden wonder and Salad Blue so that I can have blue mashed spuds.
This year I’m trying Red Emalie
Trying sweet potato slips too
We have harvested the first of our Asparagus this week

Last edited:
I'd keep an eye on that shady looking character wearing a hat if I were you....definitely up to no good! ;-)

Too true.
He watched me plant out a whole row of sweet peas along the fence up at the allotment then told me I’d done it all wrong!

What are you harvesting?
Bugger all - haven't you listened? it's too early in this area to plant much out, following my grandfather's lead we had rhubarb (not forced) for Easter and once the chance of frost has passed we will be planting out greenhouse raised veg instead of garden planting the seeds end of April as usual (pity she didn't at least sow some stuff just so she could see that the greenhouse head start is lost around here as soon as they go out)

Latest posts

Back