Rubber Roof?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beero

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi All, anyone know of a good reason why not to use rubber membrane for the roof of a hive?

Will get very hot in summer sun. (not fun to touch!).. Ok for bees if insulated roof.
And unless treated, it will degrade with UV. Over years!

I have a couple of hives covered in Hypolon sheet which was used as a roofing material throughout the world. Unfortunately DuPont closed their manufacturing plant down in 2010.
I recently built some 5 frame nucs for our teaching apiary and roofed them with polyethelene DPC which should last well.
The only thing I would say is "DON'T REST YOUR SMOKER ON THE ROOF" 😄

Last edited:
Yes I put my smoker down on a felt roof much to my chagrin but worse I managed to lean it against my ventilated bee suit which is now that bit extra ventilated.🤬

An idea just fell out of somewhere - what about attaching a suitably sized/cut to fit silicone trivet/hot pan holder to the base of the smoker.
this sort of thing

I just bought a set of four of those yesterday! They make a great wax pellet mould. Perfect for making wax wraps.

20201025_115029.jpg20201025_121110.jpg20201025_124143.jpg

Last edited:
An idea just fell out of somewhere - what about attaching a suitably sized/cut to fit silicone trivet/hot pan holder to the base of the smoker.
this sort of thing

I attach a piece of varnished plywood (approx 6mm) to the base with wires attached to guards.
Works a treat.. no holes in poly and much more stable

Attachments

• IMG_0677.JPG
    IMG_0677.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back