royal jelly.........

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglongdarren

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
i am going to a big bee meetin on tuesday nite and was going to ask this really silly question so maybe some of you's could answer me it here and avoid me any embarrashment...................if a drone larvae was giving royal jelly to eat would it make him the king?????bee-smillie

No but it could make him the queen,I think its called heterogenesis.
I think under normal conditions the workers will eat any drone larvea that have been fed royal jelly.

Can anyone point to a paper that talks about this,I think I only read about it once a while back.

would probably make him go roundtrees........crikey that sent chivers down me spine

and then could he go on to lay eggs and so on??.....would this ever happen like in a hive???

I should of read up before posting really as I may be talking b*ll*cks.

It could be laying workers that can make a queen if fed royal jelly.

Can the geneticist's on the forum help me out before I dig a hole even deeper please..

Here Admin a helping hand lol
muk9ao.jpg

parthenogenesis was the word I was looking for not heterogenesis.

Thelytoky:

Thelytoky comes from the Greek thely, meaning "female", and tok, meaning "birth". Thelytokous parthenogenesis is a type of parthenogenesis in which females are produced from unfertilized eggs. It is rare in the animal kingdom and has only been reported in about 1500 species.

It is more common in invertebrates, like arthropods, but can also occur in vertebrates, like some whiptail lizards. Thelytoky can occur by a number of different mechanisms each of which has a different impact on the level of homozygosity. It can be induced in Hymenoptera by the bacteria Wolbachia and Cardinium and has also been described in several groups of Hymenoptera, including Cynipidae, Tenthredinidae, Aphelinidae, Ichneumonidae, Apidae and Formicidae.

Hymenoptera (ants, bees and wasps) usually reproduce by arrhenotokous parthenogenesis. They have the haplodiploid sex-determination system, and usually unfertilized eggs develop into haploid males, and fertilized eggs develop into diploid females. In thelytoky, however, female workers or queens are produced by laying worker bees when diploidy is restored in their eggs by the fusion of two meiotic products.

These laying workers are therefore producing unfertilized diploid eggs (with the full complement of 32 chromosomes). It occurs in the Cape bee, Apis mellifera capensis, a strain of honey bee, and has been found in other strains at very low frequency. The diploid embryo that develops from the egg can develop into a worker bee or a queen bee depending on how it is fed.

parthenogenesis was the word I was looking for not heterogenesis.

Thelytoky:

Thelytoky comes from the Greek thely, meaning "female", and tok, meaning "birth". Thelytokous parthenogenesis is a type of parthenogenesis in which females are produced from unfertilized eggs. It is rare in the animal kingdom and has only been reported in about 1500 species.

It is more common in invertebrates, like arthropods, but can also occur in vertebrates, like some whiptail lizards. Thelytoky can occur by a number of different mechanisms each of which has a different impact on the level of homozygosity. It can be induced in Hymenoptera by the bacteria Wolbachia and Cardinium and has also been described in several groups of Hymenoptera, including Cynipidae, Tenthredinidae, Aphelinidae, Ichneumonidae, Apidae and Formicidae.

Hymenoptera (ants, bees and wasps) usually reproduce by arrhenotokous parthenogenesis. They have the haplodiploid sex-determination system, and usually unfertilized eggs develop into haploid males, and fertilized eggs develop into diploid females. In thelytoky, however, female workers or queens are produced by laying worker bees when diploidy is restored in their eggs by the fusion of two meiotic products.

These laying workers are therefore producing unfertilized diploid eggs (with the full complement of 32 chromosomes). It occurs in the Cape bee, Apis mellifera capensis, a strain of honey bee, and has been found in other strains at very low frequency. The diploid embryo that develops from the egg can develop into a worker bee or a queen bee depending on how it is fed.

I think that's no then. ;)

:iagree::blush5:

I thought a nice long post above about Thelytoky would deflect some of the embarrassment..

Like you say the answer is no,I got it wrong,maybe I should of Googled it first and then I could of been an expert.

Admin slinks off to a far corner of the forum.

Feeding anything to a drone larva will not make it haploid, royal jelly or whatever it might be. Never in a month of Sundays. Haploid is haploid. Queens are female - they diploid. Most female bees (the workers) are stunted; only the queens are fed 'properly'. There may have been other ways to promote the queen, but when you think about it the larval development time is pretty well fixed for the female which leaves few options other than feeding the queen larva on a more 'concentrated' food. If you could slow down the larval development stage for the queen to say two weeks, the larva may not need such a special diet. But queenlessness is not a good attribute to a colony so the replacement is developed as quickly as ossible.

The option of a better diet, over the longer larval stage, was probably sorted out by basically Darwinian ideas millions of years before Darwin. Survival of the most suited method of queen production.

RAB

:iagree::blush5:

I thought a nice long post above about Thelytoky would deflect some of the embarrassment..

Like you say the answer is no,I got it wrong,maybe I should of Googled it first and then I could of been an expert.

Admin slinks off to a far corner of the forum.

Hey, that's my embarrassment after a daft question corner! I suppose you can borrow it.....I don't forsee any daft questions for today, but if I need it you'll have to budge over

Latest posts

Back