Royal jelly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
From which part of the anatomy do bees produce royal jelly and what is its constituent. I presume instinct triggers the production.

Before a person shouts at me to research I have searched on the net and here, but not finding the right info - just how to apply to face and too late for that malarky
:beatdeadhorse5:

From the pharangeal glands of young nurse bees :).
At least I think so , no doubt someone studying the modules will confirm or correct me:hat:

John

From (gasp) a book...

The illustrated encylopedia of Beekeeping says,

Apart from buy me Heather...LOL

"Royal jelly is the food fed to the queen larvae in queen cells.

Is it composed of Bee Milk from the hypopharyngeal and mandibular glands in the head of the workers, with the addition of some of the regurgitated contents from the nurse bees' crops mainly sugar.

It is very similar to the brood food but is higher in pantothenic acid, biopertin and neopterin,. It also contains different proportions of the products of the two glands.

The amount of sugar in the food appears to be vitally important in the differentiation the two female castes during metamorphosis, and varies between the the larvae of the two castes and with their age at the time of feeding. "

PH

Wish I was clever like wot you are- Pollywolly :banghead:

I will put that book on my birthday list... but the books I have - and the tinternet wouldnt disclose- and I just wondered...

Oh and thank you for your replies -:). Really appreciated - Yorkshire puds too!

Thanks Floyd - that was just what I had been looking for- Hmmm - google didn't find it for me, but that is what this forum is for - Cheers :hat:

Latest posts

Back