royal jelly but no larvae

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuporter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi- on inspecting a quite strong hive which hasnt made any preparations for swarming yet this year- I found two queen cells with royal jelly in but no larvae. Any suggestions why this would happen? I removed them and Im waiting to see what happens this week. The queen is marked blue and is laying more drone eggs than usual- so needs to be superceeded this autumn.
Thanks Nuala

Bees are female.... they changed their minds....;)

PH

Hi there; I had the same thing yesterday, have been madly researching and was starting to think that perhaps I was seeing things!

Mine is on a swarm I collected at the end of May and united with a queenless colony less than three weeks ago. Honey production is romping along (just put on a fourth super) but despite being on a double brood box the queen is only laying in the top one....and then the two queen cups with royal jelly but no larvae that I could find. What could be going on?

I've destroyed these but hope to go back in in a couple of days weather depending to check.

Any ideas anybody?

As posted... change of mind. Weather could well be having an effect.

PH

Fingers crossed.....! Don't want another colony just yet so madly trying to get my head around how to use a Snelgrove just in case, lol.

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back