Routers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonstandard

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
9 colonies & 2 nucs
Hi,

I'm looking at doing some hive building/refurbishment this winter and am looking at purchasing a router to help with machining hive rails, hand grips etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for brands, power requirements or just general advice?

I did have use of a cheap nu-tool router earlier this year which I felt quite happy using apart from the fact it died after very little use and cannot be returned as I don't know where it was purchased from.

The router doesn't have to be new, a fleabay special will do as the budget is fairly tight, I just need some idea of wattage and spindle size/speed requirements and reliable makes.

Regards
Jim

You local B&Q and simliar stores will have cheap routers and they will be easier to return if they go phutt than anything bought on an auction site - just remeber to keep the receipt.

I bought an expensive Bosch angle grinder and it lasted only a few months. The replacement was something unknown and brightly coloured but much cheaper and is still in use years later.

If you can afford it a 1/2" router is a lot more versatile. If you can find one with two guides so they go either side of the wood, go for that but I don't think any of the cheap ones do this.

I have had a JCB one now for 6 yrs and it still going strong

If you are going to use a router to machine the rebate in the hive rails then I suggest the safest option is to use it in a router table.Easily home made and also useful for trenching out the grooves for housing the sides of the hive.My router is an ELU 1/2 inch capacity-now replaced by the TREND copy.I wouldnt advise buying cheap routers as they are not "man enough" for serious work and will soon give up the ghost and burn out.

If you have bench saw, you dont need a router. The rebates can be cut by setting the saw height to the depth and cutting along the length a few times, removing the width of the saw blade each time.

Yes, but you dont need one if you have a bench saw.
Trying to be helpful. Maybe I should just not post at all as I cant grasp the point.

How big is you wallet?

I'd recommend Mafell, Hitachi, Festool.

DeWalt - I've heard varying reports on quality.

I find spending a bit extra does repay you many times over in quality of finish, lifetime of the tool, power etc.

Also, don't forget the quality of the bits you use. If you buy a nice router and then lash some cheap chinese TCT bits that last all of 10cm before the edge is dull doesn't make sense either.

Adam

I used a stanley 1/4 inch for years as hobbyist (spindle moulder for real production jobs). Cost a fiver (or less) from a boot sale about 15 years ago.

Bought a Lidl special - with a set of cutters - for 30 quid. I have been surprisingly satisfied at it's capabilities. Obviously not a high quality one but has not expired so far (4 years coming up) but not used so very much.

I was wanting to try a plunging router so tried it before deciding which make when buying a higher quality one - but will wait until this one expires! Metric shanks, and 1/4 cutters (Stanley size) are a very tight fit in the smaller collet (6mm), but just go in.

Variable speed, soft start, ten common profile cutters (some with bearings), only 1300W (but adequate for smaller cutters).

Regards, RAB

As with all things, with routers you get what you pay for. If all you are doing is a few hives, then Trend, DeWalt etc will do admirably. If you like nice machinery then look at Festool - but the price will make your eyes water. If have an old 1/2" Elu - MOF177E - known as one of the best "proper" old machines. I've also got a Festool - wonderfully powerful, quiet, an absolute beauty.

If anyone wants a Trend metal router table for making hives...I've got one going free to a good (bee keeping!) home. I've got a big router table with rise/fall now and I don't use the old one. (Berkshire area, near Thornes of Windsor)

If you have bench saw, you dont need a router. The rebates can be cut by setting the saw height to the depth and cutting along the length a few times, removing the width of the saw blade each time.

johna The question was specifically concerning ROUTERS

SixFooter Yes, but you dont need one if you have a bench saw.
Trying to be helpful. Maybe I should just not post at all as I cant grasp the point.

broandy looooooooooooool

Router table gone....!

While I'm at it, does anyone want a slightly rough round the edges MIG welder?!? (Maypole 120 Turbo, works, a bit erratic for precision work)

Well, I've had a very happy evening converting a big sheet of 18mm exterior ply into supers. I think I've made parts for 10, but I didn't count. I'm going to make the fillets out of 1" x 1" pine, I'll need to get hold of some. These will be "summer supers", so I'm not that worried about longevity in winter conditions. Given how easy it seems to be, I might knock up some brood boxes for ASing next spring.

You had me going there - I thought you'd found a source of 240V porter cables in the UK. They seem to be about the only outfit that sell a stripped down, powerful motor for router tables. Everyone else makes you buy an expensive router....

(MIG Welder also gone)

Rutlands used to do them, i think maybe i was lucky enough to have purchased one before they stopped doing them :p

try here http://www.dynatools.co.uk/products.asp?cat=93

Last edited:
I looked at that site. What caught my attention was the naughty use of advertising a recon 3 1/4 HP router - but apparently 'reconditioned' with a 1650W motor (a little under 2 1/4 HP!). Either a typo somewhere or a considerably derated motor power!

Regards, RAB

heres a couple of suggestions for you,

bottom end of the market ish, £45
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tools/Silverline+Power+Tools/d40/sd2670.
yes i know everyone knocks them but for fourty quid and with general use they last years i have one which is fixed into a home made invertion router table( ie upside down) so i can router the one rebate and profile ect it only realy gets some abuse in the spring weekend bee hive building days and then sits in the shed for the rest of the year ,

the second is a great quality one that most site people would use for a living if the were inclided into makita tools some do some like dewalt or someone else,

http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-rp2301fcx-1-2-router-prod796942/

the main thing i do is get a half inch router cheaply and always buy best quality bits that you can afford as wear out routers with rust mainly but the bits last years if well kept

Latest posts

Back