Rotating hive entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
What’s the rule of thumb if you need to rotate a hive to face the entrance a different way.....is there an equivalent to the 3ft 3 mile rule. Presumably you would do it very gradually over a period of time?

I'm sure there'll be an expert along in a minute, but I do seem to remember reading on here at some point about rotating 30 (I think) degrees at a time. Can't remember exactly though and can't seem to find it in the search.
I think if you go 45 degrees at a time you can cause a bit of confusion.

2 or 3 points a day is safest, but to be honest, even four points a day is only going to cause momentary and minimal confusion

Thanks, so four points would be the equivalent of 90 degrees if I’m understanding right?

Thank you. I learned something I didn't know there.
Drummed into me at sea school - Navigation light characteristics, Port and Starboard from dead ahead to two points abaft the beam then the stern light from astern to two points abaft the beam on both sides, then of course there's the mastead light (or lights depending on length) on power driven vessels from ahead to two points abaft the beam. all to enable you to judge where the vessel is heading and when it turns

Drummed into me at sea school - Navigation light characteristics, Port and Starboard from dead ahead to two points abaft the beam then the stern light from astern to two points abaft the beam on both sides, then of course there's the mastead light (or lights depending on length) on power driven vessels from ahead to two points abaft the beam. all to enable you to judge where the vessel is heading and when it turns

That's beyond me, I'm afraid.
I remember doing polar co-ordinate questions using degrees and minutes in maths class years ago but I don't think the teacher even mentioned "points". Why is a point 90/8?

EDIT: never mind - I googled it

Last edited:
2 or 3 points a day is safest, but to be honest, even four points a day is only going to cause momentary and minimal confusion
Won’t it depend on neighbours though. Surely if the rotating hive is one of a line you’ll loose more to drifting. I’m conscious that Do224 is being ‘encouraged’ to move his hive by an apiary ‘mate’.
Neil

Just turn the hive to the new position. Little bit of confusion to begin with but healthy bees will soon find the door.

Won’t it depend on neighbours though. Surely if the rotating hive is one of a line you’ll loose more to drifting. I’m conscious that Do224 is being ‘encouraged’ to move his hive by an apiary ‘mate’.
Neil

There are four other hives in a line a couple of metres to one side and forward of my hive. Plan would be to rotate my hive away from them

Is this prior to a move? In which case which way are you planning to move? Move the hive forward or backwards?

I’m not wanting to move the hive...I may offer to rotate it as a compromise but not if it will have a detrimental impact on my bees.

I’m not wanting to move the hive...I may offer to rotate it as a compromise but not if it will have a detrimental impact on my bees.
It won't - drifting is no big deal, never has been it's just another chimera some like to bring up at regular intervals

:offtopic:Reminds me of the theory course, prior to the practical part of RYA Coastal Skipper cert in 1991. The practical involved circumnavigating Ynys Môn out of Conwy. The beauty of the cert is that it entitles me to renew my International Certificate of Competence (sail and power vessels. Power in my case = being able to go astern under engine in a yacht) in perpetuity as long as I pay the requisite fee every five years - necessary if I wish to charter. Forty years on, I fear that both my theory and practical skills might present a hazard to other mariners....
I do fancy sailing in the Whitsundays down-under however....

That's beyond me, I'm afraid.
I remember doing polar co-ordinate questions using degrees and minutes in maths class years ago but I don't think the teacher even mentioned "points". Why is a point 90/8?

EDIT: never mind - I googled it
And HE accuses me of 'wittering!!!' :icon_204-2:

I’ve never experienced any real problem with a quarter turn - but that is, of couse, afer considering the weather, time of day, time of year, or anything that may adversely affect the returning bees. Simple enough, if in doubt, delay - or turn it less.

Latest posts

Back