Ross Rounds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENZO

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello everyone,
Does anyone here use Ross Rounds sections for comb Honey, I've got hold of a few section supers with Ross Rounds and I like the Idea as it's one of my favorite ways to eat Honey.
Do you dedicate one or two hives to only produce sections or do you place a section super on each hive?
Where is the best place to get the rings and covers? Thornes sell them but they seem really expensive, they seem much cheaper in the US but I'll rather buy from the UK, Is anyone else selling the Rings and Covers for Ross Round Sections in the UK?
Thank You Very Much for any Info,

Enzo.

Hi Enzo

Try KBS for parts, but as everything will have to be sent to you, the U.S may not be a bad idea. You could also try Stoneleigh if you attend.

As for the production of comb honey nothing beats simple cut comb produced in normal frames with thin foundation. It's by far the most economical way of doing it, in terms of volume you will also produce far more CC than sections.
Also less waste as incomplete CC frames can be extracted and saved. Off cuts can also be used to produce chunk honey.

However nothing quite compares to a stack of complete sections and as a product it is top notch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best method of section production:IMO: Take a large hive just as the main flow starts and remove supers to other colonies, even going to the extent of pushing a DB brood chamber into one box can be done. Then adding your sections/rounds, giving the bees no option but to work them. Then all you have to do is hope the flow continues and you can stop them going out the front door!!!!!!!!!!!(AND THAT'S THE HARD PART)

Ross rounds have the advantage that the sections can be moved about as complete frames whilst the bees are working them, it is then possible to move the already started/complete centre sections to the edges. This does help production in a normal hive and reduces the need for crowding.Two or three swarms chucked together in a single box can also produce good results.

Try and get hold of Comb Honey Production by Richard Taylor a U.S beek but really very good.

Regards Ian

It's a good read yes. Shame we don't get colonies as strong as his.

I flag up (again) the warning that books written for the American market are not directly applicable to the UK, and yes it is on my book shelf too.

The finished product is pretty yes, but it is actually easier to produce comb honey as cut comb and the packaging is cheaper.

PH

Hi

"It's a good read yes. Shame we don't get colonies as strong as his."

The problem is not the strenth of our colonies, but rather the strenth and upredictable nature of our honey flows.

Regards Ian

Hi, thanks for the advise, I did produce some cut comb last year for myself but this year, I would like to try producing some sections, a bit different and a little "special", I will try to get hold of this book by Richard Taylor.

Many Thanks, Enzo.

If I remember rightly Ian he talks about crowding down 4 brood boxes of brood... and yes of course they have much better and predictable weather and flows. also of course CCD too... cough.

I was in the enviable position of both having all the back copies of Gleaning sand ABJ from the late forties to the early 80's to read, and the time at work to do so. I am well aware of the methodologies that existed, and the size of colonies that it was all based on.

I am quite content to struggle on with our fickle climate and flows instead.

PH

Hi

"I am quite content to struggle on with our fickle climate and flows instead."

That's because your'e a Scot and anything above 20c is a heat wave:svengo:

Hi

"I am quite content to struggle on with our fickle climate and flows instead."

That's because your'e a Scot and anything above 20c is a heat wave:svengo:

Now this is a "Blast from the Past" ( and that comment above is too funny ! )

Anyone tried these, any joy ?? ( or sorrow !�� )

Dug this up searching for info on them.

I found that they weren't very keen to finish the corners. Also, osr doesn't make particularly nice comb honey.
Do round sections have corners?

Hi bontbee
Did you use cushmans method of extracting the honey from combs and feeding back?

Wonder if anyone has tried roger patterson's idea of nadiring supers of honey then tricking the bees into moving stores that they can't defend up to where you want it. (read the link bontbee supplied!)

I have read lots of Cushman's site but there is always something else to find.

Our association had a very good talk on producing Ross rounds from our ex chairman. He stressed bees were very reluctant to fill them and he could only hope to get them to fill them if the hive was bursting with bees. They were ideal though for heather honey and he had only ever achieved one complete full super in an excellent summer.
Well worth a try though and good luck.

Hi bontbee
Did you use cushmans method of extracting the honey from combs and feeding back?

Not for the sections, but I did try it for some cut comb, but am not quite convinced it was worth the hassle.

2014 was an exceptional year though.

Yes, I think that did the trick! (The hive was stuffed with bees, as well, which was a bit of a 'mare.)

Back