Rose

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karol

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Looking for a little advice. A dear friend passed away and his widow would like a commemorative rose to remember him by. Her preference is for a thornless rose with a good scent and any colour but white.

Not being a gardener I would really appreciate any suggestions for a variety of rose that might fit the ticket.

Thankyou.

Most of the thornless ones are climbers and will need something to support their growth or a wall/fence that they can be wired into. This is one that we bought for my mum ... lovely scent, long flowering and pale pink flowers ... in it's day it covered a section of fence as it's quite prolific. Her stupid gardener thought it was a vine of some sort when it was dormant in winter and chopped it back to the ground - it was grafted onto a base root stock and all we got after that was dog roses !

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/79777/rosa-kathleen-harrop-(bb)/details

Looking for a little advice. A dear friend passed away and his widow would like a commemorative rose to remember him by. Her preference is for a thornless rose with a good scent and any colour but white.

Not being a gardener I would really appreciate any suggestions for a variety of rose that might fit the ticket.

Thankyou.

I don't think you can go far wrong with David Austin roses.

Thank you guys. Should have said earlier that she is looking for a shrub rose or floribunda. David Austin don't seem to have much choice for thornless roses apart from climbers. Local nurseries prefer to sell on-line but it's difficult to appreciate the plants from a picture hence the request for any recommendations.

Thank you guys. Should have said earlier that she is looking for a shrub rose or floribunda. David Austin don't seem to have much choice for thornless roses apart from climbers. Local nurseries prefer to sell on-line but it's difficult to appreciate the plants from a picture hence the request for any recommendations.

David Austin was a plant breeder. They have lots of shrub roses. If you type "thornless shrub rose" in the search box, you get several possibilities. You might like to take a look at them and select the size:

LICHFIELD ANGEL
THE SHEPHERDESS
KEW GARDENS

You might find something suitable there.

Good Luck

Thank you. Gratefully appreciated.

Reactions: B+.
Back