Rose OSB Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerNut

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've just read the article in August BBKA News 'One Small Step in Hive Design' page 15.

Seen the website

http://www.rosebeehives.com/

Seems a logical idea?

But as I'm a new beek, I would be interested in some views from the more estabished beeks here please?

Yours Roy

It seems to me the brood boxes are too small, and the honey supers are unnecessarily too heavy.

Using a double brood is unnecessary extra work for amateur/hobby beekeeper.

Nothing is compatible with commonly available low cost equipment which is already available. (BS mod National or Langstroth)

They are plywood not cedar, at least the ones I've seen so far have been, meaning more maintenance or shorter life.

I don't want to spend any money re-equipping, it was hard enough to get going in the first place.

If you've got less than ten hives, does it really matter what you use ? why change ?

Maybe a new commercial beekeeper would consider them, but I reckon the informed ones will consider poly langstroth first.

No reason for a new hive bar ego.

Poly Hive Hive anyone?

LOL

PH

Rose hive

I bought 5 boxes at Stoneleigh in April and hope to run them as a top bar hive; though time has so far beaten me: they are assembled and treated but it's getting late in the season to get some bees in before winter now- also need the right "strain" of bee to put in. I am keen to try this and will let you know when it happens (even if it's 2010!):hat:

When I first saw them I enquired as to whether the frames would fit my radial extractor. Still waiting for an answer.

Regards, RAB

Hello Beesatbobs, what does your "Main type : None" mean ? I thought you were on 14x12 ?

Does it mean "Several types in use" ?

Which would you recommend for a new hobby beek with say, around 10 hives ?

Thanx for the comments :)

At present I only have one hive (a WBC in my garden - ducks), but I am looking to see what my best options would be if I decide to expand............so looking at all possabilities :)

My prefered hive atm, would be a poly national, but as I said, I'm looking at all options.

Because I have only the one WBC (in my garden (got it in again) which is staying there) it doesn't matter which route I go as I will have to get all the kit I need for the out apiary.

Poly nationals makes sence as they will be compatable with what I have, but that not necessarily a requirement.

Yours Roy

Latest posts

Back