Rose OSB Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenBee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I have not been keeping bee very long and I am not that impressed by the National hive system, or any hive that uses two types of frames. I did consider the Topbar hive, but this as the name suggests has only a top bar and no frame at all, the bees just build comb naturally. But, I prefer a hive with frames as I feel this adds strength to the comb. I also considered the Dartington hive, but the standard Dartington hive has smaller super frames than the brood frames.

Just recently I came across the Rose "One Size Box" hive, which as the name suggests uses frames of all the same size. There are 12 frames per box due to hive design / construction and while each box is less depth than a National brood box, it uses the same area, so you can use the same National floor, queen excluder, crown board / quilt and roof. This allows easy migration to the OSB hive.

If you wish to build the hive and frames yourself, plans are available for personal use, after registering, from this link ...
http://www.rosebeehives.com/

I am in the process of migrating to this new hive system, so I shall let you know how I fair, but hive management looks to be much easier than with a National. The only draw back is boxes do weight more than a National super. But, I feel the advantages far outweigh this drawback!

So why use different size box's and frames,why not use all national brood box's.problem solved,all the same size.not that there ever was a problem in the first place. Instead of an ego hive,which may cause problems.

Last edited:
All I would say is DONT do it / dont by rose!

You say

fenbee said:
I am not that impressed by the National hive system, or any hive that uses two types of frames.

You are not forced to use two different frame types I have started using all deep frames.

I think you will find your biggest problem if you buy the rose hive is just about only you in the world will have it therefore you are tied to yet another fad beekeeping item.

Best to stick with a system that ideally you can share with a local friend or mentor.

The rose hives have recently been discussed here http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=689

Read for your self people thoughts!

Jim

Last edited:
I think one of the mistakes new beekeepers can make is to start looking for a product that is better than something that is already used by around 20,000 beekeepers in the uk and has been tried and tested for many many years.

Its a very easy trap to fall into.

Maybe the "Ego" hive will take off in Ireland as it comes from that part of the world, who know's.

I would not touch it with a barge poll though.

I use Nat's and if I was ever forced to change would go with Langs.

Its ok to go with the crowd sometimes.

sorry friend but i have to agree with the other's. instead of rewriting the bee keeping books of design why not start with one hive either yours or use someone elses and learn bee keeping not carpentry, i have used the darlington hive and found it to be very easy to work with, and i cant sign the praises of the nat or commercial and wbc

Well folks.

No suprise to some that I have some experience of many types by virtue of running Craibstone for 5 years.

I have used: National, Smith, Langstroth, Modified Dadant, and poly in both Langstroth and "National" guises as well as normal National. To briefly explain that one, the Nat in poly that I initially used was 12 frames with a Smith top bar. I have also had bees in both WBC and Glen hives.

And my choice would be Poly Langstroth if I had it. As I don't I am reduced to Nationals.

So. Firstly there are more than enough hive types around.

2nd ly there are damn good reasons for having small frames for supers. This is no fad, and to be brutally honest and possibly less kind than other posters for a beginner to waltz in to the craft and dismiss all out of hand with not so much as a serious thought is just plain silly.

Good luck and fare ye well but dinna cry on here when frames are left unfinished. ;)

PH

Last edited:
Guess you don't like the OSB hive then - lol

No seriously, thank you for your comments, as you say if the National works for 20K+ beekeepers, it must have something going for it. But, my reason for looking at the OSB is the box size should be easier to lift than a National brood box, being smaller. But, may be I should go down to the gym more often :)

Thanks again, I shall take another look at the Dartington hive - just like being different!

Why the negativity?

Hi Everyone, I just stumbled on this forum and am quite surprised at the negativity towards my hives. Of course, they’re not for everyone, but to dismiss them just because they’re new seems just a little silly, surely?!

All the points raised here so far are dealt with on the website[Edited by admin as you will have to make a donation to get a link] judge for yourselves but, really, there’s no serious argument for 2 size boxes anymore, that I can see. They’re unnecessarily complicated, restrictive and expensive.

I’ve been keeping bees since I was 14 and I make a living out of bees and honey. I’m not stupid and I’ve tried all the main hives and these new ones are simply much better. They really are – I know because I use them day in and day out. They’re easier and simpler to use and to make, they give you far more management options and they’re the cheapest hive on the market. So what’s so wrong with that?!

I’m not trying to convince anyone (you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink) – but I’d urge you not to dismiss a good idea too readily, and don’t put others off judging for themselves.

If you were starting over from scratch, can you honestly say you’d really go for 2 size box hives?

Ok, enough (do I sound just a little defensive here?!). Good beekeeping! - Tim

Hi Tim,could you of not made your post yesterday or tomorrow ?

Well good luck to you Tim.

I prefer two sizes and think they are far more sensible. I have experience of most of the major types by the way, Nat, Lang, Smith, and poly too.

And for the record I was at one time running a semi commercial operation.

PH

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Tim and full credit given for srtanding up for your beliefs.

That said I can see arguments for and against your system.

1. Yes i can see an advantage in having each and every box interchangeable.

2. A national super can be heavy enough as it is, bigger super = even heavier.

3. I can see that many strains of bees will want 2 boxes for brood on your system. Novice as i am i can see that the bees would surely prefer a bigger box without a break in the middle.

But the insurmountable problem I see is historical. Someone with even two hives has already got a lot of money invested in their hobby, many members here have considerably more than two. To persuade these people to abondon their kit even over a period of time is going to need a lot more persuasive argument than convenience alone..

David

Thanks, David. Although, I'm not trying to persuade anyone!

I was happily using my hives and then people began to ask me about them, and then I was asked to give a talk on them for different associations and then in Stoneleigh at the BBKA Convention in a fortnight.

So then the question arose around availability and I decided I was too busy to make them for sale, so I just wrote to Thornes and asked if they wanted to make them. That's it, really.

Hundreds of people have checked out the website and lots have written very positively (this was the only place I found anything negative said about them..) - but I'm not trying to convince anyone, only offer a sensible choice for people..

(The point you make about needing 2 boxes for brood is interesting, because many of my hives need 4 or 5 boxes. That's why I'm amazed that anyone squeezes a queen into 1..)

AMM sits happily in a 10 frame Langstroth with 9 good frames of brood and a pollen frame and give rather a lot of honey. No squeezing involved. Mind you I never did like heather presses...LOL

PH

Well I am new to beekeeping, but I wanted to make a choice at the beginning that would be easy to maintain and successful, this why I have decided to choose the Rose OSB system.
It is good that we all have a choice. I did consider changing the flat pack hive to Warre hives, after the negative comments, which as many of you may know is a low maintenance top-bar hive. But, as I have chosen to stick with frames this year, I think the OSB is a great idea. The boxes are larger than a National super, but smaller than a National brood box, so not too heavy to lift.

The Rose OSB system is not that radical and I am sure it will work for me just fine. Later I shall be trying a Warre hive, as these are even easier to maintain, no frames to worry about, all you need to do is prime each top-bar with wax and the bees build the comb as they wish, i.e. they choose the cell size for worker, drone and queen :)

With a primed top bar does that mean that you can look at the sides of the comb but cannot tip it over like when using wired foundation ?

I have visions of me tiping up the comb and having it head for my boots while I am left holding just a bare top bar.

Regards choosing the Rose OSB hive good on you for going with something different ! keep us updated with how you get on with it.

Do you think supers and brood boxes being mixed around could be a problem ? or do you plan to mark the boxes so the supers are only used as supers ?

Seeing as you are happy to use a Rose hive and a Warre hive am I right in thinking that you tend to go against the mainstream on some things ?

You are quite right Admin, when the comb is new my understanding is it is fragile. But, as the comb becomes older and larger, you can tip it sideways with care and it will not head for you boots as so readily.

I have chosen to go with the Rose hive this year and may be a Warre hive when I have more experience. However, with regard to pest and disease control, then I am very conventional and will pay very careful attention to these aspects of beekeeping!
The advantage of the Rose hive is the footprint is the same as a National, so I can use a Verroa mesh floor, readily available from a number of suppliers, without having to design a new floor.

Both the Rose and the Warre hives are both a "one size box" system, which I think is easier to maintain and as I said as I am starting out, it's great to have the choice. I would not think of myself as being radical, the Rose OSB is after all a refinement on the dual box system - dare I say so!

So if I understand correctly here, the major 'drawback' of the Rose OSB is the weight of a full super?

Other than that, frames seem to be available from Thornes, so is foundation.

The frames are also a different size to national so if you need help from another beek their frames wont fit.
You could just as well use national brood boxes for brood and honey super.

The frames are also a different size to national so if you need help from another beek their frames wont fit.
You could just as well use national brood boxes for brood and honey super.

Right. I was aware the frames were different size. I am very very tempted to start with the OSB's because they are way simpler to build. However it seems that i'll have to go with normal nats.

Latest posts

Back