Rolling fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A bit of advance advice for winter fondant feeding please.

Does anyone have any tips for rolling out fondant thinly so it covers all the top bars with a regular crown board on top, not an eke? I get into an awful sticky mess alternately kneading and using a rolling pin! I only have three hives so cannot imagine how people with many hives cope!

A bit of advance advice for winter fondant feeding please.

Does anyone have any tips for rolling out fondant thinly so it covers all the top bars with a regular crown board on top, not an eke? I get into an awful sticky mess alternately kneading and using a rolling pin! I only have three hives so cannot imagine how people with many hives cope!
Roll between two sheets of grease proof paper. If you put the whole thing on a damp tea towel it doesn’t move about while you do it. Leave the bottom sheet on when you put it on the top bars.

Similar, but I put a lump into a ziplock bag - size of choice - and roll it flat. When I want to use it I just slash the bag appropriately.

Clingfilm..

Much easier than greaseproof paper and you can see what you are doing.. And much easier to handle.

Place fondant in warm room.
Cut as required.

Cover generously with CF.

Go away for hours till it warms up.
Apply roller..

Use it in all my overwintered mating nucs... and unlike GPP, you can see how much is left so far less faffing about with an open hive/nuc/mini nuc

Clingfilm..

Much easier than greaseproof paper and you can see what you are doing.. And much easier to handle.

Place fondant in warm room.
Cut as required.

Cover generously with CF.

Go away for hours till it warms up.
Apply roller..

Use it in all my overwintered mating nucs... and unlike GPP, you can see how much is left so far less faffing about with an open hive/nuc/mini nuc
Cling film is fine but parchment paper peals of easier.. And you can see how much is left.
If you did use an eke, u could use a thin qx on top of the box then fondant/parchment paper, eke ( 1inch) or less?? CB then insulation and roof.
Putting fondant on without eke would only really work for top bee space hives.

Ps the qx also stops the fondant dripping over the cluster if its very soft.

I put fondant in large freezer bags and give it a short time in microwave to soften it making it much easier to roll

Dani, is the pasta machine suggestion a joke? I have had one for twenty years or more, only used once!
We had one as a wedding gift - have yet to take it out the box
Italians, like us buy pasta, dried, in packets and only roll their own at festivals and special occasions.

Latest posts

Back