Rolled fondant on frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu H

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My bees have been on the syrup and have had plenty of stores, The colony seemed particulary sluggish. I've been in a rush so rolled some fondant and just laid it over the frames.

Anyone see a problem with this?

Several books suggest it, although I would have thought taking the crown board off would cool the BB?

I originally removed the QX and left them the brood box and what was a full super, I've put the fondant between the super and brood box and left the crown board and roof in place!

Stu H,

The only thing I am puzzled by is why feed fondant below sugar syrup stores.

With a brood and a super there should be more than adequate stores for colony (20kg is a normal target for stores for the winter and into spring) until late Feruary (most normal years!). But if a colony is reported to be using just 100g of stores per week (recent post), over this last two weeks, your stores will last until serious brooding is well under way in the spring (they may need extra protein to be able to utilise all that sugar honey).

Personally, I would think half a kilo per week is more like an average usage until brooding starts in the warmer weather (mine certainly do not follow the solstice theory. Two years ago there were bees with no brood into the second half of February). This year I would think all normal colonies have now stopped brooding. When they restart is anyone's guess!

Regards, RAB

The colony seemed particulary sluggish.

Just as they should be. They slow down. Conserving energy.

They aint got sod all else to do.

Semi comatose. Expanding their life span.

If they were running all over the hive they would be using more energy for which they need more food.

Several books suggest it, although I would have thought taking the crown board off would cool the BB?

Locally the most experienced beeks only give fondant following oxalic treatment , assuming of course that it is not necessary to use it earlier due to shortage of normal stores. About 1/2 kg is then put in a small (foil) tray placed on top of the brood box(es) within a shallow eke before replacing the CB and roof. Sticking fondant loose above where the cluster might be seems a bit dubious imo.

About 1/2 kg is then put in a small (foil) tray placed on top of the brood box(es) within a shallow eke before replacing the CB and roof.

This may be fine in early spring but not some thing I would do for winter. I keep the brood chamber as small as possible, unless the colony is given a super full of honey (Brood and a half) in which case they shouldn't need fondant.

Latest posts

Back