Role of bearding bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viridens

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
4. Experimenting with Warres after 30 years of Nationals
It's very warm and humid after rain here, and one hive has a very large beard, There is a heavy stream of foragers still working, and I was wondering what hive duties these bearders have abandoned to hang out outside for a few hours, or maybe overnight.

Bees regulate hive temperatures and humidity by moving the air around, during hot weather or when they're ripening honey they need clear air passages, so resting bees (many do - day and night) make space for air movement by moving outside the hive

Bees regulate hive temperatures and humidity by moving the air around, during hot weather or when they're ripening honey they need clear air passages, so resting bees (many do - day and night) make space for air movement by moving outside the hive
Have you tried an OMF or a screened bottom board for better thermal regulation for the bees?

Have you tried an OMF or a screened bottom board for better thermal regulation for the bees?
I always have OMF, makes no difference though whether its a solid floor or mesh, bees will still need the extra space to shift air around when honey ripening

I wonder how the process is controlled and coordinated. Pheromones, Chinese whispers, or you, you and you etc. - outside!

Just popped out in the garden and one hive is spilling out the hive tonight. It’s the one that needs to go on double brood ASAP.

Attachments

• 31C4A853-052D-4897-A725-7B6025E7D783.jpeg
    31C4A853-052D-4897-A725-7B6025E7D783.jpeg
    488.5 KB · Views: 32
Just popped out in the garden and one hive is spilling out the hive tonight. It’s the one that needs to go on double brood ASAP.
Actually the "congestion" in the pic does not look too bad. If you are really concerned about heavy bearding, I recommend the use of OMF and then stack up more empty hive bodies to relieve any overcrowding. I know some are not convinced of OMF but you can always try and prove it to yourself since my use of screened bottom board in my neck of the woods has been proven positive against overcrowding. But don't take my word for it. Try and tell us the result of your own experiment.

When you have now your weather, it is normal European summer weather. 25C is not bad. Actually it is a good weather for bees. Just now we have the same weather. Even 30C is not a bad temp to bees.

What have added bearding in my hives is congestion, supers too full honey.... must be ectracted. Not enough boxes to bees.
Too much honey from flovers.... extract if the hive has rippen boxes.

To change floor to mesh floor after 60 years beekeeping? ... sounds funny. The reason is something else.

It's very warm and humid after rain here, and one hive has a very large beard, There is a heavy stream of foragers still working, and I was wondering what hive duties these bearders have abandoned to hang out outside for a few hours, or maybe overnight.

One hive and that gang of bees is not actually a beard. Perhaps the colony needs one box more space.

I know some are not convinced of OMF but you can always try and prove it to yourself
I think you need to pay a little more attention to beekeeping practices in the UK - I would say the majority of beekeepers here use OMF all year around, and have for years.
Makes no difference to bearding bees

Latest posts

Back