Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

snoop 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
poly hives
I have a cast swarm that found its way to one of my hives over the summer. Sunday queen was laying , brood & lavae & eggs spread across 5 frames none of them full , some stores not a lot . As I was treating my other hives for varroa I also did this one & fed all hives the same amount in rapid feeders. Went back this evening to top up the feed.
No stores , a few eggs scattered on frames no good laying pattern , wasps in the hive. Rapid feeder empty, some bees with heads stuck in comb looking for feed.

I moved the 5 frames to a nuc , the number of bees has halved since Sunday. I gave more feed , just wondering if there is anything else I can do.

Last edited:

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
If you have lost half the colony in about 4 days I would not be surprised if it is doomed.

My antidote for wasp attack is lots more bees. That may mean uniting if none are available as a surplus from elsewhere.

Regards, RAB

susbees 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
35ish
If you have lost half the colony in about 4 days I would not be surprised if it is doomed.

My antidote for wasp attack is lots more bees. That may mean uniting if none are available as a surplus from elsewhere.

Regards, RAB
What he said. The wasps are voracious and starving too. Knocking out a couple of frames in a day or two is within their capabilities. We lost two frames with one bee space entrance in hours the other day from the remains of a nuc. Got back of holiday, inspected, retired to plan. Bang. Gone.

Tonight in spite of it raining all day there was a neat group of 20-30 wasps under a TB nuc between their OMF and the board eating the hive debris (thymol treatment underway). But the entrance is well defended. At the moment.

Polyanwood 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I think that once wasps smell blood/haemolymph they rarely stop. i strongly recommend you move the bees. i have had success with this trick.

Midland Beek 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Er, don't stimulate your strong stocks same time as feeding the weak ones.

Presuming you had an entrance reducer in.

Latest posts