Robbing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps one of the worst things you could have done

But we all make mistakes

Tin hat time :eek:

He whom is without sin bee-smilliebee-smillie I know this site, it is free of any problems, and the gent has been teaching and bee farming since the 1970`s I`ll take his word on that one.

By the way not my bees, I`m just filming for use in my training for pest controllers

Bunny

:iagree:

Hope you dont have AFB/EFB in your area.
If he has been keeping bees that long he should know better.

Last edited:
:iagree:

Hope you dont have AFB/EFB in your area.
If he has been keeping bees that long he should know better.

Yes I wish I knew everything as well, all forums are the same it appears, whatever the subject.

Bunny

Problem with doing this with supers is the mayhem doesn't stop once the super is cleaned out . The bees are in robbing mode and will attack apiaries within flying distance.
This practice ,thankfully is rare , practised only by a few !!
The fact that your mentor has kept bees for so long proves that selfish types have always existed !
VM

I dont claim to know everything. This open feeding/robbing of extracted supers has been posted and commented on many, many times on this forum. It is open to any bees in the area to feed from that is where the problem lies, any disease can be spread to hives that were not infected before.
If you post something on an open forum surely you expect to get other opinions on what has been posted.
As you said it was not you that did it, so no malice is meant.

Last edited:
Robbing

IMO is not covered enough on this forum but shyould be because it can easily destroy a colony.

To avoid: Only feed in the evening when all foraging bees are indoors and be careful not to spill any.

If you've more than one hive, feed syrup at the same time and if you even suspect one hive is robbing from another, reduce the entrances to one bee space.

other suggestions?

richard

I accidentally had a similar situation this afternoon.

I had put the extracted supers over the BBs for a few days for the bees to clean. This morning I took them all off then applied Thymol to all the hives. Somehow I managed to splash the Thymol over my face (not good, bugger me it burns:eek:). I closed the hives and legged it back to the car and home for a wash:eek: By the time I got back the boxes were full of bees and no chance of moving them:toetap05:

But why leave them out in the open to be cleaned up when you could just as easily leave them above a crown board of an evening and achieve the same thing in less time (less distance for the bees), without as much risk?

Look, I only assumed that the box was left out to be cleaned, there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation.

I am not here to argue the point of the exercise the post was to demonstrate what happens when a robbing spree is under-way.

Given that the site is totally free of any brood diseases amongst the 150+ colonies on site and whatever your own protocols and work practices are in your small hobby apiaries this is a well run disease free commercial apiary.

As with all things, be it work,hobby related or professional there will always be someone that knows better, god knows I`ve come across enough of them and they always seem to gravitate towards whichever forum they feel happy to lurk in so I`ll just lurk for a while to see whom is the best informed then.

Like I stated earlier, He whom is without sin ect ect;)

I accidentally had a similar situation this afternoon.

I had put the extracted supers over the BBs for a few days for the bees to clean. This morning I took them all off then applied Thymol to all the hives. Somehow I managed to splash the Thymol over my face (not good, bugger me it burns:eek:). I closed the hives and legged it back to the car and home for a wash:eek: By the time I got back the boxes were full of bees and no chance of moving them:toetap05:

me to :$ was going to clean exstractor made the mistake of taking it out side thinkn 2 minutes they wonte realise found out more like one 2nd and im coved in them and didnt have my bee suet on and well had to leav them to it so do apolisie to any one in stevenage or close enuf for my ignrnece to afect learnt from it. Will have to think of new way of cleaning exstrator how does every one els ? As i dont no of any other way. and iv aplied api gaurd but since then my bees seam to of started colecting loads of pollen what do the pros think i should do ? Will the bees slow down as apigaud there ?

As i dont no of any other way. and iv aplied api gaurd but since then my bees seam to of started colecting loads of pollen what do the pros think i should do ?

Hope that they keep collecting plenty of pollen.

Look, I only assumed that the box was left out to be cleaned, there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation.

I am not here to argue the point of the exercise the post was to demonstrate what happens when a robbing spree is under-way.

Given that the site is totally free of any brood diseases amongst the 150+ colonies on site and whatever your own protocols and work practices are in your small hobby apiaries this is a well run disease free commercial apiary.

As with all things, be it work,hobby related or professional there will always be someone that knows better, god knows I`ve come across enough of them and they always seem to gravitate towards whichever forum they feel happy to lurk in so I`ll just lurk for a while to see whom is the best informed then.

Like I stated earlier, He whom is without sin ect ect;)

150+ colonies in one apiary? Wow. That's a big apiary.

ok so you wouldnt worry there going to swarm ? ok be for you say its to late in the year its nice weather so id say pre happs im not a pro first year of bee keepping

so im not saying your wrong :) im just well worrying had 16 varo since last sat is that good

ok so you wouldnt worry there going to swarm

I would say it is very unlikely they will swarm now, unless perhaps they were severely restricted for room and were of a swarmy nature.

Will have to think of new way of cleaning exstrator how does every one els ?

I scrape my extractor clean with a tupperware spatula, then wash with cold water and washing up liquid. rinse twice with cold water, then dry with cloth.

1/2 hr job. ;)

me to :$ was going to clean exstractor made the mistake of taking it out side thinkn 2 minutes they wonte realise found out more like one 2nd and im coved in them and didnt have my bee suet on and well had to leav them to it so do apolisie to any one in stevenage or close enuf for my ignrnece to afect learnt from it. Will have to think of new way of cleaning exstrator how does every one els ? As i dont no of any other way. and iv aplied api gaurd but since then my bees seam to of started colecting loads of pollen what do the pros think i should do ? Will the bees slow down as apigaud there ?

I put mine in the shower and clean it there :)

Latest posts

Back