Robbing within the apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melias

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have four colonies and have been feeding all 4 for the last 3 weeks. I have a situation where one colony is robbing another one aggressively.

I've tried putting obstacles in front of the hives, spraying with water, etc., but they are relentless. Any advice on how to stop this?

I thought robbing was more common during periods of dearth, but all 4 colonies have had ready access to syrup in Ashforth feeders.

I have four colonies and have been feeding all 4 for the last 3 weeks. I have a situation where one colony is robbing another one aggressively.

I've tried putting obstacles in front of the hives, spraying with water, etc., but they are relentless. Any advice on how to stop this?

I thought robbing was more common during periods of dearth, but all 4 colonies have had ready access to syrup in Ashforth feeders.

Tricky.
I can't think of anything else except to move them 3 miles away and return them in a few weeks.
Hopefully someone will have a genius idea.
Cazza

Search "Homemade Bee Hive Robbing Screens" on youtube.(sorry cannot post link because i have got less than 10 post) It may help and looks easy to make.

If you are sure it is a case of one colony is robbing another one (and your other colonies are not involved) then I recommend you simply swap their positions with one another putting the robbed colony on the site of robber and vice-versa. This method is an old one and works really well.

I agree with BK
- if you you've tried closing the entrance down to single bee-space that's about all you've got left.

If you are sure it is a case of one colony is robbing another one (and your other colonies are not involved) then I recommend you simply swap their positions with one another putting the robbed colony on the site of robber and vice-versa. This method is an old one and works really well.

Brilliant idea. I would have stuffed the entrance with grass and fed liberally for as long as it took them to chew it away - 3 to 4 days. By then the robbers would have gone elsewhere. But swapping the positions is a really good plan. Thanks - not that I have a problem at the moment but my plan worked well with a nuc last year.

Latest posts

Back