Robbing, new to flying or confused?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I got my first bees last friday and after my initial concern, I am happy that they are not being robbed but for future reference...
Is it easy to tell whther any "zig zag" flying around the entrance to a hive is due to robbing, bees trying out their wings and orietating themselves or already flying bees that don't like the slight difference to the height of entrance caused by the move from nuc to hive?

(in case you are worried, there may well be more stupid questions over the next few weeks and years)

John

I just had a nuc robbed - the zig zag pattern of the robbing b*st*rds was very fast and precise - as opposed to the new bees' gentle swoops on their practice flights.
You'll see the same zig zags in a few months when wasps have a go at getting in.

Welcome to Beekeeping!

Richard

Thanks Richard. I enjoyed my course and have read loads but it always seems calm at the club or others' apiaries! Hopefully something I won't see for a while.

Latest posts

Back