River Cottage "natural beekeeping"

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much authority do bee inspectors have?
A lot - reading exerpts of the bee act, I once thought I'd mistakenly picked up a copy of the Customs and Excise Management Act
what would happen with abandoned hives in a disease area, do they have the power to inspect/destroy them without any knowledge of the owner
yes

I’m sure if one of HFW’s conventional hives tested positive for foul brood they would want to take the log hive to bits!

I’ve seen log hives with removable frames. But HFW one isn’t one of them (I don’t think).

He’ll need stilts.

Maybe ask Hugh? 😂
It wouldn't surprise me if he plans to explore these issues on the program. He's a teacher, and telly is how he teaches. It'll be interesting to see how it ends, though of course there are differnt sorts of endings and his program may not last that long

It wouldn't surprise me if he plans to explore these issues on the program. He's a teacher, and telly is how he teaches. It'll be interesting to see how it ends, though of course there are differnt sorts of endings and his program may not last that long
I don't see any reason why someone couldn't ask him on his social media :) I don't watch his programs but hopefully he does talk about it more and give people an insight into unconventional keeping.

I saw his log hive in his garden at the Hampton Court Flower Show ...Looks like it's only intended to be a wild bee home ... can't see how you could possibly manage it as a beekeeper ... looking at it there seems to be a removable section in the base of the trunk so presumably you clean it out once a year when it has swarmed to infinity ? Sorry ... I think it's an expensive gimmick ... if it looks like it's going to sell in any numbers then I'll be selling a cut price version next season ! There's no patent on log hives and I know enough tree fellers ...

Attachments

• HFW Log Hive.jpg
    HFW Log Hive.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 0
I saw his log hive in his garden at the Hampton Court Flower Show ...Looks like it's only intended to be a wild bee home ... can't see how you could possibly manage it as a beekeeper ... looking at it there seems to be a removable section in the base of the trunk so presumably you clean it out once a year when it has swarmed to infinity ? Sorry ... I think it's an expensive gimmick ... if it looks like it's going to sell in any numbers then I'll be selling a cut price version next season ! There's no patent on log hives and I know enough tree fellers ...
Let me know if you’re selling any.

Give him a chance he’s got a years worth of crown boards to make first😉
Yes ... I've got my priorities ... Log hives a little way off ...crownboards first - let's wait and see how many they sell ... one swallow does not make a summer ! Mind you, at the price they are selling them for I'd only have to make about 10 a year to give up work . ....

But a whole new tranche of mugs to gull of the money that's obviously burning a hole in their pockets
Yes ,,, I reckon if I could put a beer tap on the outside and convince people they could just turn the tap and out would flow the honey I'd be onto a retirement in luxury ! Still working on that ...

Latest posts

Back