Ripening and clearing honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dryar

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I succesfully extracted a super of honey yesterday and now have it resting in a settling tank .

I can see an abundance of air bubbles on the surface.

Can anyone give me an idea how long to leave the honey to clear itself of air and does placing it in a warmer environment assist.

Thanks

If in a warm place it will take longer for anything to settle from the honey than bubbles rising to the surface. A couple days or so should be adequate. It will, of course, be a function of the depth of honey.

A simple way to find out yourself would be to place 'some bubbly' honey into a smaller transparent receptacle, of similar depth to the honey in your settling tank, and observe under the prevailing conditions. Both should clear at the same rate (apart from bubbles clinging to the side walls of the vessel).

RAB

I coarse filter the honey (removing any bee bits) into my 50kg tank & put into the broom cupboard for about 5 days. I have a dehumidifer on just to keep humidity levels down. I then skim off the top bit (I quite like this scummy honey and wax - perhaps it has marketable properties!!) and decant into 30lb buckets for use later. Works OK for me.

Thanks for the guidance.

Finally . In order to avoid bubbles in the jars how do you actually pour the honey. seems a bit daft but do you open the honey gate and go for it or gently let it pour.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back