Rhubarb leaves in smoker?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckys bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I’m just wondering if any body has used rhubarb leaves in their smoker when doing inspections? What’s the outcome? Would it hold down the mite count? I saw that leaves placed on top of brood can help but surely rhubarb leaf smoke circulating hive regularly would be better to knock mites off like vaping does.

many thanks

I’m just wondering if any body has used rhubarb leaves in their smoker when doing inspections? What’s the outcome? Would it hold down the mite count? I saw that leaves placed on top of brood can help but surely rhubarb leaf smoke circulating hive regularly would be better to knock mites off like vaping does.

many thanks
his foru
Wherever you got that advice/comment from they are barking mad. Vaping (sublimation) oxalic by far the best.

And puttung them in the smoker is not going to do anything either ... I wonder where these ideas come from sometimes ....
Am sure there was a bloke on this forum who advocated the use😂….To give some perspective he was also a fan of humid tamar valleys! and Cornish black bees😉

to answer the OP. Rhubarb leaves contain about 1% w/w oxalic acid (OA). Vaping is usually done with a dose of 2+ grams per colony, so a equivalent amount of leaves would be 200g. However the OA is not in a form in leaves that allows contact with the bees to impact the varroa with leaves placed directly on top of frames.
Adding rhubarb leaves to a smoker could in theory vaporise some of the OA, but 200g of leaves per hive is a lot to stuff in a smoker per hive, so likely a dilute OA vapor rather than the conventional blast, if the smoker stays lit.

Whilst I have no doubt a few will claim it works, I've never seen any data to back this up. Far better to cut the leaves off the Rhubarb stems, eat the stems and compost the leaves. BTW Spinach has a similar level of OA and it is neither recommended for OA treatment nor comes with a health warning

many thanks

I personally would put nothing in a smoker that is likely to harm my lungs - let alone harm bees.
Wood? Fine, cardboard (untreated) ? Fine.

Rhubarb leaves? I do NOT want oxalic acid anywhere near my lungs. Having caught a whiff when vaping it is vile and hurts.

(These are the basic instincts of someone who believes in minimising unnecessary personal risks. So far I have survived to be 74 years old. I don't want to live the rest of my life with damaged lungs) :)

Latest posts

Back