Review of BBKA pesticide policy

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
None of my own
Attached is an article by W Cornwall beek and scientist Bernie Doeser and a Biscaya flyer referring to the BBKA which some of you may not have seen. It was passed on by our association.

Passing no comment as I've yet to get my nose stuck into the issue, but well aware that many of you feel very strongly

There was also a pretty comprehensive review of the history and background to the BBKA endorsement of pesticides by David Ramsden which at 5Mb is too large to upload, but if anyone wants an email of it PM me

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
I'm sure it's well intentioned stuff (haven't we seen something like this before recently?) but I fear one of his recommendations won't fly. This is the need to give spray liaison officers a minimum of 48 hours notice of spraying. From my admittedly limited experience of this subject once a farmer detects the need to spray as a pest population starts to increase then every day counts. They simply can't wait 48+ hours especially if there is a weather window suitable for spraying the next day.

The evidence is also a bit patchy for some of his arguments. He says the BBKA endorsement is on the Biscaya data sheet - which is a neonicitinoid and therefore to the best of my knowledge not endorsed by BBKA. If the data sheet is the sheet enclosed then I can't see any BBKA endorsement on it but happy to be corrected if someone with sharper eyesight than me can spot it. The only reference to the BBKA is about general advice on the best time to spray and to avoid directly spraying hives - which seems sensible to me but is hardly an endorsement of the chemical. He also says there were 6 reported cases of spray poisoning in the first half of 2010 but does not say if these reported cases were confirmed as due to spray damage or what the chemicals involved were. It strikes me as a bit of mud slinging in the hope some will stick. Especially as he says no prosecutions arose out of the invesitagations into these incidents which suggest to me that perhaps they were not spray poisoning.

On a different tack, I was intrigued to read on the Biscaya sheet that pollen beetle are developing a resistance to synthetic pyrethroids - exactly as varroa has done to the likes of Apistan.

roche 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I think the main point of his report is the lack of governance on the part of the BBKA of the terms of the endorsement.

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Copy of emailed document:

BBKA PESTICIDE ENDORSMENT

The hosting of this document in no way infers we agree with any of its contents.
The statements are the author's opinion.
Beekeeping forum.

katecanning 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
T&TVBKA motion re anti-pesticide endorsement & BBKA &

Having lobbied the UK BKA's to get the T&TVBKA motion re BBKA & pesticide endorsement back on the BBKA ADM 2011 agenda (36% of them supported the motion and still rising - a result!) and circulated, both Dr Bernie Doeser's and David Ramsden's reports to them all, Lo! I get a call from Martin Smith, President BBKA. This evening I returned his call. He said:

"I thought you’d like to know the BBKA trustees are putting forward their proposition (re BBKA & pesticide endorsement) and it might impact on the T&TVBKA motion." The gist of it was that they would be willing to share with me their proposition so that we might come to some understanding, provided their proposition remained secret, with the possible exception of discussion with one or two T&TVBKA committee members. I explained that I didn't feel able to take up the offer and looked forward to listening to our motion being debated at the next ADM and to the BBKA's too. He told me that their propostion would be published next week (presumably in the BBKA News).

Can anyone tell me what that was all about or am I the only one hearing the squashing sound FX of "knobbling?"

Mike a 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Between 17-20
way to go Kate.

Why am I not surprised they tried to steam-roller your motion by offering no doubt a half way deal to hush you up. They know they are on the ropes and you have enough support nationally to not cut any dodgy deals. Enjoy the day and good luck with your motion.

katecanning 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
continued

Thanks Mike
MS tried the same stunt with David Ramsden last year when DR spearheaded a very similar T&TVBA motion (a bunch of us target lobbied successfully to get it on the 2010 agenda).

We suspect that the BBKA will pull a flanker and propose an Executive motion to be discussed first, so doing some sort of face saving turn around, and then say our motion no longer needs debating thereby stifling any discussion.

One wonders if they're anxious not to have the past revisited - AND the fact that Bernie uncovered that Bayer's Biscaya neo-nicotinoid rape pesticide is linked in their instruction/advertising/fact sheets with the BBKA: "refer to BBKA guidelines..."

Last edited:

HaroldC 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
smith
Number of Hives
Hi

I suspect the 'next week' refers to the publication of the ADM agenda etc.

Interesting.

Harold

Adam 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Stick at it Kate. Despite the potential steam-rolling that your proposition may get, it's fully supported.

Adam

MuswellMetro 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
i wonder whether we will see any change in direction now that Jane Moseley, Hertfordshires BKA's Prseident and Secretary of the Bishops Stortford Beekeepers Association, has just landed herself the job of Operations Director / General Secretary for the BBKA

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
finaglers ahoy! - An impeccable source has intimated that the BBKA is trying to "get around" the whole pesticide thing by getting into bed with the "CPA"
(the spray everything to bejaysus brigade! - if it's still alive, spray it some more!) and to try in some obscene way to put up a smokescreen over their nefarious activities by so doing.........
instead of a bit of devil worship on the side, they've invited them, and all their mates in to hold black masses in the crypt..........:coolgleamA:

Last edited:

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Take it your not a great fan of Demonic Dier then.....

Last edited:

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
toldya!
- can't add the link - go to the home of the Britsh Beekillers' Ass, and read the "news"

Notice that the welfare of bees and beekeepers has now gone completely out of the window in their eagerness to become another voice of and for the pesticide industry!

Utterly, utterly disgusting, disgraceful, and unforgiveable - I trust there will be mass resignations following this travesty!

MuswellMetro 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I wonder who else the BBKA will sell their LOGO to, i was quite surprised, when i found it on the CPA leaflet, perhaps the next tie up could be with Monsanta and their genetically modified OSR "roundup Ready Canolla", we could all have it on our Jars of OSR Honey:willy_nilly:

Last edited:

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
In my opinion, on previous form, anybody who'll flatter the negotiators, make them feel important, and give the Association threepence halfpenny!

They'll give hookers a bad name!

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
It's not all bad is it? The BBKA News item also says this:

Following discussion with the companies involved, the BBKA Trustees have decided that endorsement and related product specific payments will cease as soon as practically possible.

However, they do leave the door open with the next paragraph:

The Trustees do not preclude accepting funds in the future from either the crop protection industry in the guise of the CPA or individual companies nor other organisations involved in horticulture and agriculture, which are beneficiaries of honey bee activity. The Trustees have no specific funding proposals in mind at present, but for the sake of clarity do not wish to be constrained by any notion of working with one particular industry on a 'free' basis, whilst accepting funding from individual and other corporate members to fund its activities. For example the Trustees may wish to invite companies to fund a future research colloquium, to exhibit at the BBKA Spring Convention or make a contribution to the BBKA Research Fund.

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
If you're used to reading legalese, "The Trustees do not preclude accepting funds in the future from either the crop protection industry in the guise of the CPA or individual companies nor other organisations involved in horticulture and agriculture, which are beneficiaries of honey bee activity" could be translated as "we've been caught red handed doing something spectacularly amoral, so rather than cease it immediately (as we should), we've now erected an even less transparent way of accepting funding from our REAL masters in the pesticide industry, so we can continue building our little empires of self-importance, and acting as spokespeople for the chemical industry"

"will cease as soon as practically possible" - but as we agreed 15 year deals..........

Me? - a touch cynical? - oh yes!:biggrinjester:

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
The most immediate issue is what does "as soon as practically possible" mean.

I would hope it means within 12 months, i.e. at the expiry of any current agreements.

At the risk of stirring it is anyone going to complain because they have taken this decision without a referendum of members or discussion at the ADM?