Reusable woodpecker proofing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stedic

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
We have a woodpecker issue at the apiary.

This year I have been using plastic garden netting/fencing which has proved to be effective. It is a pain to put on and off though, when checking fondant etc.

I thought about making some wire cages that lift on and off, but I don’t really know where I would store them over the summer.

I’m sure you must have a solution. Something reusable, allows access to hives reasonably easily and can be stored in a small space during the summer.

Damp proof membrane pinned on to the hives. Stops woody getting a grip. Roll it up and store until the next season.

Old plastic feed sacks as well. Wire need only be cut to length and wrapped around with top crimped over so can be stored flat. Not as flash as proper cage but just as effective

I did something similar last year Stedic, posts set up and nylon fruit netting stapled onto it, it worked perfectly but as you say it was a total pain when it came to checking anything.

this year I've used chicken mesh around and above each Hive/Nuc, its a darn site easier and can be rolled up and stored afterwards too.

I have seen the wooden framed mesh covers but I'd need so many of them they wouldn't be practical

Hang shiny objects in trees around hives, has worked for me over the last few years after some damage, ribbon is good, or old CDs or you can buy spirals cheap.

Latest posts

Back