Rescued Carniolians

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
Rescued a National hive with a brood box full of Carniolians.
Not the best time to relocate bees as a persistant gale blowing in from the SW.
This morning bees are very active, on 11 frames with plenty of supplies tucked away on outer frames. No sign of Varroa on bees or on slide out under OMF.
Lady said thay had been Thymol.(apilife var? from shred of yellow packet )treated
other half had left 2 weeks ago in megga huff and has dissapeared.. lady scared rigid of bees.
Sun up and shining this morning and air temp around 12~15 quite warm.

My other colonies are set up for winter with a super of honey (10 frames) each with the QE removed and varroa OMF closed. Moderate numbe of beef flying ans still bringing in pollen from the ivy!!
[mild here most of winter]

Now the rescued hive is really buzzing... more so than the others... lifted the lid and little ladies were piling around the crown board feed hole

My question is
Should I give them liquid feed in a feeder... or get some fondant for them, I don't think they have any room in the brood box to store, and am concerned if I fit a super with undrawn foundation they will get stressed.

I managed to rehome the snakes [ cant't stand them!]... guy was really into venemous animals... only got bees in july!!

bee-smillie

Hi icanhopit
Its too late for liquid feed now if you are worried then feed with fondant also
your over hives you have said the omf is closed I would leave open over winter there will be a build up of wax cappings ect that attracts wax moth

Andy

OK, thanks Andy... will go and open the floors now...... although never seemed to have a moth problem with the old solid floors... but then the bees could get at the floor!

What is the favorite fondant recipe... the one with sugar water and nothing else?

What happens when/if other half comes back?

What happens when/if other half comes back?

:beatdeadhorse5:

RSPCA will proscecute him for neglecting snakes in all probability!

I don't know of any cases where the RSPCA have proscecuted anyone for abandoning/ neglecting/ being cruel to bees?

I believe they are classed as undomesticated/ wild animals?

Presumeably he could claim hive back... I do know of a beek. who had a similar thing happen to him many years ago.
Was given a number of hives left at a property, that was bought at auction from a probate sale.
The new owner of the house+ orchard thought the hives {active} had been abandoned and being terrified of bees and allergic to them, wanted them rehomed asap!
The hives still had varroa strips in them and it was already late into summer, grass was high around them and locals questioned including police could not identify an owner, so the beek. arranged for whole lot to be transported some considerable miles away to his apiary.:auto:

Some eight or so months later the errant "owner" of the hives showed up making all sorts of threats etc to both the rehomer and new owner of the property/orchard... it never was resolved.

In this case : If the owner of the hive returns and wants his bees back, I of course will return them, I just hope that he is thankfull that his ?EX? did not pour petrol into the hive and destroy them all with a match !

bee-smillie

Latest posts

Back