Requeening

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiteoakjill

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
going to requeen as have a red marked queen. Whats best from peoples experience. Dont want to kill the old queen as only have one hive currently, can i make a nucleus with her? Her hive has been building up quite well and there would be enough capped brood to remove some.

thanks

yes as long as you have plenty of bees and brood i dont see a problem.

Welcome to the forum.

When are you proposing this?

If the hive is thriving, I would allow it to continue unabated and consider action middle of next month or later, even.

I keep saying again and again in posts, there is no rush and more troubles can be brought on by action too early.

You don't say how you propose to requeen. Buying in, removing the queen before any other action, artificial swarming.

Buying in a queen would likely be the best plan, but always has a small risk of disruption.

The preferred method for me, if I only had one colony, would be to build up as much as possible before inducing supercedure cells and then artificial swarming, when the weather is much warmer and more settled.

Are you intending to increase colonies to two? Two is more than twice the ease to manage than one, but little extra effort, but needs more space, etc, etc.

Location may be an issue with a new queen if it is allowed to mate locally - especially in the following generations - and, again with few options on choices of breeding colonies, you are limited in that direction too. Especially if the hive is in an urban environment.

I am not over impressed with your confidence of the size of your colony at the present time, nor with your information handed out for our consideration So my advice, and I have little to go on, is to sit tight and maybe get another box of brood on the hive before taking any precipitate action.

And tell us more about your hive type, amounts of actual brood, your region (at least). It all helps to avoid suggesting something that is less than ideal in your particular situation

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
I have added the info to my profile, just worked out how to.
I would purchase a queen from a breeder.
The hive currently is brood and a half with 5 brood frames of capped brood, with brood and eggs in all but two of the other. Brood and eggs in the half box in at least six frames. This was last weeks (saturday) inspection.

sounds like shes ready to super and going quite well. if your hell bent on requeening then your idea of taking a nuc with the old queen is allright but for safety of introduction of your new queen you might be better introducing her to a nuc of your bees then uniting over paper once shes laying well , the old queen could be taken out and put into a nuc at the same time as the uniting . problem is your left with an old queen youve obviously allready decided to replace and shes less likely to supercede herself in a small nuc, so if you want increase why not get two queens and splitt the hive ?

Latest posts

Back