Requeening

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffindodger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
National with 2 supers.Today found all brood frames have plentiful stores - no eggs, no larvae.
I need to requeen asap, but, with all drawn frames with stores, will she be able to lay? Any advice welcome. Thank you

National with 2 supers.Today found all brood frames have plentiful stores - no eggs, no larvae.
I need to requeen asap, but, with all drawn frames with stores, will she be able to lay? Any advice welcome. Thank you

Are you sure you haven't got a virgin running round waiting to get mated?
If unsure I would put a test frame (eggs/young larvae) in before requeening.

requeening

Thanks to both for quick advice. I'm pretty sure no virgin about as there have never been any signs of queen cells or even cups. The queen was marked. There are lots of bees inside and flying. Some drones. They are extremely aggressive. Very loud roaring from hive. Followed me over 200 yards and an hour later attacked me in the house doorway which is 50 yards from the hive.
Thanks again.

I doubt that there is virgin in the hive.

Do the test. Put brood frame from another hive. But at same time you may do a nuc from two frames of emerging bee frames and put the mated Queen into the nuc.

There should be emergency cells if the queen has died or vanished. Queen may be sick and has stopped to lay.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back