Requeening as standard???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
OK - I have never thought - this year I will requeen my hives so that they get off to a flying start next year, and a placid strain etc., and have accepted that supercedure and Q- is 'part of beekeeping'.

HOWEVER, in the last week my FinL was stung getting his washing in, chased into the shed 3 times when trying to fill a watering can - and my OH stung on the eye - when trying to see why the bees were protective of the water butts...said butts are 40-50ft from the hives, oh, and I was stung too.

So, I am wondering if I should requeen all the hives this year, so that these occurrences are hopefully less common. I am on a budget, so it would be a financial stretch - but would solve some of the family arguments that are occurring!!

Any advice, comments (polite :) ), suggestions etc gratefully received...

Just to clarify I have 4 hives in the garden and in 4 years have had no issues away from the hives, and it was the first time FinL was stung.

Hive #1: Swarm from last summer, was very gentle, but rsuperceded 8 weeks ago and are more defensive, but only when the hive is disturbed by inspections.

Hive #2: Had for 3 years, good but feisty if inspected and extremely protective from August onwards.

hive #3: Nuc from #1, with HM from Buckfast - lovely gentle etc.

Hive #4: Swarm, arrived first week in June, looked like it was superceding but cell disappeared, last inspection no eggs or larvae but they were not too bad at all.

So yes, they are feisty but only when inspected so these garden attacks seem out of character.

Last edited:
I am rearing my own queens this year (first time ) so I can requeen two aggressive hives.. one done. Dislike comb runners and stingers. Got a bad case of "ankle nippers".. She's for the chop..

I'm in favour.

Aggressive hives mean bad drones: don't want them. I am for racial purity . Eeek!

You know my thoughts about bees in gardens. If you have them in your garden you will get stung.....all bees have bad hair days. Even if you don't get stung you will always be wondering if you are just about to.
E

Sounds like 2 and 4 would benefit from a placid queen, 1 possibly as well. Number 3 sounds ok though. How old is your Buckfast queen

I have often seen bees fighting at the waters edge of our pond. So getting stung by the water butts doesnt seem far fetched for even gentle bees. if theres conflict there then it may be at the washing too (water source)Options: provide water elsewhere

Last edited:
Sounds like 2 and 4 would benefit from a placid queen, 1 possibly as well. Number 3 sounds ok though. How old is your Buckfast queen

She is from a QC this summer, in fact early June...and we have several water sources around - bowls, pond, bird baths (all used)- including the neighbours hot-tub, although he does moan about the giggling when he takes his towel off :D

I wish I didn't have them in the garden, but due to health issues - if they were anywhere else I would probably have to give up...which would be worse. :( I just feel guilty about others in the family being stung by 'my' girls...although they have saved my sanity, and tested it, numerous times...

Last edited:
Are there any factors that make them feisty, such a nearby late osr going over

No, this year we hardly had any OSR in the area...for once my honey is actually slightly runny!!:)

She is from a QC this summer, in fact early June...and we have several water sources around - bowls, pond, bird baths (all used)- including the neighbours hot-tub, although he does moan about the giggling when he takes his towel off :D

I wish I didn't have them in the garden, but due to health issues - if they were anywhere else I would probably have to give up...which would be worse. :( I just feel guilty about others in the family being stung by 'my' girls...although they have saved my sanity, and tested it, numerous times...

Purely an opinion but I would keep the new Buckfast and replace the two crabbier hive queens but I'm only a newbie on a steep learning curve.
I also have a water bowl with rocks in next to the hives which gives the bees their own undisputed supply.

Last edited:
Gentle Bees !!

I have experienced the same sort of scenario where you become practically a prisoner in your own home!

I have read over and over again, in comments and books about having gentle bees, like they are some kind of holy grail. My personal opinion is that all bees Generally Speaking can be gentle and then aggressive, and visa versa. Sometimes just days apart. So its my opinion that too much emphasis is put on
Re Queening and not enough on variable factors such as handling technique, are the bees hungry through lack of stores, over smoking, is it a good time to open the hive. Re-Queening seems at times a a cure all approach.

I have had colonies that were a nightmare to handle until I stopped using smoke and switched to a sugar solution spray. I have had colonies that were very aggressive because I had failed to read between the lines and they were hungry, a gallon of syrup later, hey presto calm bees!

So perservere, and try different things. I don't think its impossible to keep bees in a garden, but you need to be one step ahead at all times.

It might just be the location the hives are sited in, if so your not going to be any better off requeening

what other sources of water are in the area. If you have chemicals entering the water system somewhere that can make them cranky as well.

I don't think it is hive placement, as my hives have been in the same positions as other hives and some are in their original hives. The village water is classed as super pure and is 'in a national emergency' classed as a safe water source...

They have been cranky before, who's bees haven't? However, in going on 4 years this is the first season in which my FinL has been stung; and is the main reason of concern...at 82 he doesn't need any added risk factors.

I shall see how we go - and if the money tree bears I shall re-queen a couple in August, and see how we go - although since the sting fest we have had no problems at all:)

Aren't bees fun? :D

I'm pretty new to all this but a couple of weeks ago my bees were really so spiteful I just stopped looking in the hive, had been stung several times right through my suit, but for the last week all has calmed down, it's scarey stuff when they keep having a go at you, hope all goes well whatever you do.

Thanks all - I think I will re-queen in August when time and finances allow - but make nucs. with the queens in case the new do not work out. Hopefully, if they are still nucs in spring I will have sold the house, and have moved to somewhere with more land and space and a bit of attitude won't do as much harm :)

Latest posts

Back